Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Book Review: Here Burns My Candle, Liz Curtis Higgs

I stayed up too late...reading this book...twice!  I was drawn into the story immediately.  The characters were so deep, so likeable.  I felt like I was actually in 1745 Scotland and actually part of the Kerr family.  The history of the Jacobite Rebellion was so skillfully woven into the story,  I felt the tension as the characters had to determine which course was the right one for their lives.  I felt the ache as secrets were kept and were revealed.  I love it when fiction books make me forget there is a real world; because, the world of the book becomes the real world for a little while.  Here Burns My Candle did that for me. 

I was a little uncertain during the first couple of chapters.  I don't like reading about intimacy... if you know what I mean.  There was a certain amount that was tastefully described.  It was not graphic in any way.  However, I would not allow my teenager to read it.  It's definitely for married women.  Adultery, treason, war and finding a relationship with the true God are central themes.

I recommend this book for married women. 
Five Stars


Read my other Liz Curtis Higgs reviews.

The Girl's Still Got It

Here Burns my Candle


Mine is the Night

The Women of Christmas



A Wreath of Snow

It's Good to Be Queen





3 comments:

  1. Laura,

    This sounds like an interesting book to read. I'll need to put it on my "wish list," for I already have a stack of books that I have dedicated myself to reading.

    I am visiting your blog today from "Lily-Rose Cottage." :)

    -LR

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favorite fiction book! I read it when it was first released, then followed up reading its sequel. I haven't read a book since that has replaced it in my most enjoyed books.

    What else have you read? Let us know at the Literacy Musing Mondays linkup this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tami,
    I just linked up An Endless Christmas by C. Ruchti. I loved it! It's how I want our Christmases to be when my kids grow up!

    Thanks for "talking back". Do you know that your comments come through to my email as a "no reply blogger"? If you'd like to get direct responses to your comments more often, you might like to know how to change that. I wrote about it in this blog post.

    http://harvestlanecottage.blogspot.com/2015/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html

    If you're like me, you don't have time to go back and check on other blogs to see if you've gotten a response to your comment. I sometimes can take time to track down commenters, but I'm usually short on time.

    Blessings,
    ஐღLauraღஐ
    Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I'm taking a short spring break, so I will have a lot of messages when I get back online. If you would like a reply to your comment, please be sure to leave your email address and ask me for a response. I moderate all comments, so it your comments won't show on the blog until I get back in the swing of things.

Thanks so much for your patience!

It will be good for me to unplug for a bit. Know what I mean?
Be blessed!
Laura