Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Review: The Story of The Bible, Larry Stone



  Have you ever wondered just how we got our Bible?  For most of us, history is a bit fuzzy, a once upon a time.  Most Christians believe that the Bible is the true Word of God; but, why all the different versions?  How do we know that the Bible we hold in our hands is the Bible that was written by inspiration of the Holy Spirit nearly two thousand years ago?  Good questions.  Good questions to which I found good answers in The Story of The Bible by Larry Stone.  

Often a new book will be on my bookshelf for awhile before I read it.  Not this one.  When I opened the box, I was in awe.  The quality of the book was amazing.  The cover felt good in my hands.  The paper was thick, as though it is meant to last a lifetime.   The illustrations are of excellent quality.  Throughout the book there are vellum pouches containing copies of many of the documents that Mr. Stone references.  I felt like I'd just been given a box of rich chocolates and flowers, too. 

  When I opened the book, I found that the text was very readable.  The information presented could have been for a college textbook; but, the style of writing was like sitting down with a good friend for some one on one tutoring.  He explained it all, the beginnings, the people of the Bible, the foundation of a new faith, the early years of the church, the Middle Ages, the remarkable century from Gutenberg to Luther, the Bible in English, the old Book in the New World, and "to the end of the Earth".

  This book was especially thrilling (yes, I really do mean that) for me because I just finished reading about the Middle Ages with my children.   Many of the names and events in the book were familiar to me.  So, now that I've enjoyed the book, I am reading it aloud to my 13, 11, and 9 year olds.  Do I think they will grasp everything?  No, probably not.  They will retain a respect for the truth and value of our Bible, for the sacrifices made for it, and I hope, have an increased understanding of its importance.

FIVE STARS

Laura 
Happy at Home
~~~~~
May I suggest?

 Have you heard about Book Sneeze?  I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review.  I am not required to give a positive review. 


Shared with:
Cozy Book Hop

2 comments:

  1. AAAAHHH , my dear Laura,
    That looks like a wonderful book to get lost in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura, I'm adding this book to my list. Looks really interesting. Thanks for sharing your review.

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm healing from breast cancer surgery on October 20th and dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura