Monday, April 18, 2011

Review: Made To Crave Satisfying Your Deepest Desire With God, Not Food



     "A typical book on healthy lifestyle choices should contain lots of talk on vegetables, calories, colon cleanses, and phrases like 'you must,' 'you should,' 'or else.'  "I have a problem with all that talk.  I know most of it.  It's not the "how to" I'm missing.  It's the 'want to'...."  From the opening of Lysa TerKeurst's book, Made to Crave.

     Here, in the first few sentences, Mrs. TerKeurst addressed why this is not just another diet book.  This is about the spiritual why of overweight and overcoming.  Sure, she tells us about her eating plan; but, she doesn't say it's the eating plan for everyone.  In fact, this book isn't really about dieting at all.  It's all about cravings.  It's about the cravings that we try to fill with everything but what we truly crave-- Intimacy with God the Father. 

     We were made to crave God, not food, not pleasure, not stuff.  He made us for more than that.  Lisa shares her experience of hearing that from God and applying it to sugar cravings and succeeding in His power.  She talks of how she overcame emotional emptiness, of the fight with emotional eating.  She explains why diets don't work.  Healthy eating choices and exercise are important; but, according to Lysa, it's not so much about the food itself as it about our choices.  Choices move us toward holiness or away from it.  Lysa explains how we can pursue holiness with our food choices and other choices.  We can break the "I'll start on Monday" habit. 

     I highly recommend this book.  I know that I've just scratched the surface with my first reading.  It is chock full of Bible references.  I'm going to look them up and write in my book as I read it again.

     So, what's the most important thing that I'm taking away from reading this book?

     "I was made for more than this."

     
*I received a free copy of this book for review.  The opinions expressed were my own.

Cozy Book Hop

2 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to reading this book. I ordered it recently, but haven't read it yet as my "to read" pile has been a little tall lately. Thanks for sharing this review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing this book review.. I had not heard of it but sounds like one that I need to read...
    Blessings...

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm healing from breast cancer surgery on October 20th and dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura