Friday, May 27, 2011

Review: Money Secrets of the Amish by Lorilee Craker


During this time of depression recession, everyone is tightening their belts.  Many people have lost half or more of their incomes while watching prices for gas, food, and other necessities rise quickly.  The Amish have weathered the storm far better than the rest of us.  Why?  Many of the things that our depression era grandparents knew and practiced are still practiced by the Amish.  I have a favorite saying, "Use it Up, Wear it Out, Make it Do, or Do Without."  This is a favorite Amish saying as well.

Mrs. Craker has thoroughly investigated the subject of how the Amish use money.  She shares insights and quotes that she gleened from her many interviews with Amish men, women, and even a banker that deals almost entirely with Amish clients.  There is a whole different mindset about money and its use in the Amish community.  Children are taught from birth about hard work and frugality. 

What really makes this book valuable to an Englischer like you and me is the way Mrs. Craker transfers the wisdom of the Amish into our world.  In each chapter she not only shares what she's learned from the Amish, she also shows how others have implemented the practices on a practical basis and how she has made changes in her life that have benefited her.

I especially enjoyed her chapter about bartering.  Bartering has never been part of my life.  After reading her explanation of what we would call win-win bartering, I'm thinking about what I could barter.  Fresh ooey gooey cinnamon rolls anyone? 

I was already familiar with many of the practices in the book.  I, however, have lived a different lifestyle from many in the mainstream culture.  As a one-income family, thrift has been a necessity for many years.  I did find new ideas however.

This book would be absolutely excellent for readers who are just embarking on the journey of thrift and wisdom.  I read it in two days.  That shows how reader friendly the writing is.  I felt like I was sitting with Mrs. Craker talking over lemonade and sugar cookies.  I am inspired to take my thrift to a higher level!

Five Stars





Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com  book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

~~~~~
May I suggest?

9 comments:

  1. That book sounds amazing!! My husband and I are finding new ways of homesteading and making due with what we have. It's an exciting adventure, and such an eye-opener, to see how much we have that we don't need. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though I am sure I already do much of what is in the book...........I am VERY interested to read it and see what I can glean from it. Thank you for sharing this review. :) Gentle Joy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found the same, Joy. It was helpful in bringing some things to remembrance as well as giving me some new ideas.





    Laura

    Lane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this review! I wanted to read this book but I was wanting more info on it first. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad it's of help to you, Off Grid! I'll be over for a visit in a bit.

    Blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for sharing this. I found it so interesting especially since we live a few hours from Amish people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In these hard economic times this book sounds great! Thanks for sharing at TTF!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Linda. You're welcome.
    ~smile~
    Have a good week,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're welcome, Judith. I really enjoy your blog.
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm healing from breast cancer surgery on October 20th and dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura