Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Book Review: Billy Graham in Quotes


Billy Graham in Quotes
Franklin Graham
Thomas Nelson Publishers
$15.99


This one's for the bedside table.  I sat down for just a couple of minutes when I received this book in the mail.  A couple minutes turned into several minutes of thumbing through pages absorbing the wisdom of this strong man of the Faith.  I love that you can sit and read it or snatch a quote or two as you're walking by to mull over as you work or play.  This one isn't going to reach the bookshelf for quite awhile.

Franklin Graham, Billy Graham's son, compiled this extensive volume of quotes with the assistance of Donna Lee Toney.  The quotes are taken from his father's books dating from 1947 to 2010.  They are extremely well organized into 107 topics...adiction, age, the church, Christianity, committment, decision, eternity, evil, family, forgiveness, grace, Heaven, The Holy Spirit, integrity, life, marriage, money, prayer, repentance, sin, success, thankfulness, the Word of God, the world, suffering, truth and worship, just to name a few. 

One of my favorite quotes is:

"True Christianity finds all of its doctrines in the Bible;
true Christianity does not deny any part of the Bible;
true Christianity does not add anything ot the Bible.
For many centuries the Bible has been the most available
book on the earth.  It has no hidden purpose. 
It cannot be destroyed."
p 58

This quote was a great one for me because I know that so much is changing all around us.  Christianity, the Christianity of the One True God, and of Jesus Christ, is based on God's Word that does not change.  Billy Graham has lived a long life with over seventy years in ministry.  He has a simple faith that is profound.  He has wisdom that is rare these days.  The wisdom that comes from spending your entire life with God , in God, and on God.  This book is like the best of the best of that accumulated wisdom.  It should in no way be a substitute for the Bible.  It is not intended to be one.  It is, however, a very readable distillation of Biblical wisdom on many topics.

I have the utmost respect for Mr. Graham.  He was instrumental in my salvation.  I thank God for him.

I give this book, and Mr. Graham, five crowns stars.
I received this book from Booksneeze in exchange for an honest review of the product.  The opinions herein expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm healing from breast cancer surgery on October 20th and dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura