Friday, June 10, 2011

Review: Plain Wisdom

This is an absolutely delightful light summer read.  I enjoyed getting to know Miriam and Cindy and the Amish way of life through this insightful book.  Miriam is Old Order Amish.  Cindy is an Englischer who has written a number of fiction books set in the Amish community. They've enjoyed a close friendship for a number of years.  It is amazing how much the two women are the same in spite of cultural and religious differences. 

I was surprised at how many conveniences the Old World Amish use.  They have refrigerators that run by propane, telephone shanties and hire drivers to take them when needed.  Yet, they do not have electricity in their homes or anything that would connect them to the grid.  They have a rich heritage that they pass lovingly to their children.  I was also surprised at how much they interact with their Englischer neighbors.   I thought that they lived in a much more isolated way.

I found this to be a delightful bit of insight into Old World Amish life. It spoke to a longing that many back to basics, homemaking, homeschooling, homesteading, home loving women have... a longing for peace, calm, a steady pace, and life closely aligned with the seasons. I was inspired to take some time to evaluate how we're living our day to day life in this family of ours.

If you've an interest in the Amish way of life, their beliefs, or just want a little bit more background for your fiction reading, this is a good book for you.

Four Stars

"Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if you saw my post on it or not, but I just recently had the pleasure of being invited into an Amish friend's home to learn how to make noodles and it was a wonderful experience. I, too, was surprised at how 'modern' they live. It was a beautiful experience and I will never forget it. Here's a link to the post that I wrote about it: http://rebeccashearthandhome-proverbs31heart.blogspot.com/2011/05/peek-inside-amish-kitchen.html

    I think I would greatly enjoy this book! Thanks for sharing! Have a beautiful and blessed day!

    All My Love,
    ~Rebecca

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura