Monday, August 15, 2011

Review: Don't Check Your Brains at the Door


Don't Check Your Brains at the Door.  What kind of title is that?  I thought as I was looking for my next book to review; then, I saw the subtitle, Know What You Believe and Why.  Now I was interested.  As a woman with a twenty year old son and a thirteen year old daughter, I've been getting some questions about God and Christianity that I haven't always known exactly how to answer.  There are some things that I believe simply because the Holy Spirit has confirmed them in my heart even though I cannot put my finger exactly where I read them in the Bible.  This book has helped with that. 

You might think of it as an introduction to apologetics for young people.  However, at 46, I found it to be quite well thought out and informative as well.  The issues and questions are the same at any age.  The target audience is definitely a younger generation though.  The authors aim at teenagers; but, young adults would benefit as well.  It examines and exposes myths about God, Jesus, the Bible, the Resurrection, Church, religion, and life with catchy titles like:  The Cosmic Cop, The Vending Machine God, The Wimpy Jesus, The Prophet Jesus, One Among Many, The Swiss Cheese Bible, Playing Dead?,  and When the Roll is Called Up Yonder Everybody Will Be There.  I will warn you that #34 and #38 are not for young teens.  They are a little too explicit for my children.

I think the book is well-written as well as well-researched.  The authors use the Bible to back up their hypotheses and include study questions for the reader. I recommend it to parents of teens.

Four Stars

I received this book for free from Book Sneeze in exchange for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm healing from breast cancer surgery on October 20th and dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura