Sunday, October 30, 2011

Review: The Christmas Singing ~ Cindy Woodsmall



Cindy Woodsmall does not disappoint in this lovely Christmas Romance.  Gideon and Mattie are childhood friends and teenage sweethearts.  Their hearts beat together as they enjoy all the wonders that wholesome youthful activities can bring.  Until suddenly, Gideon shuts Mattie out.  After Gideon goes home early after a Christmas Eve singing, Mattie visits him on Christmas day.  She finds him with an Englisher woman in his arms.  He breaks their relationship off abruptly. 

The story picks up in Mattie Cakes, where Mattie has built a business and a life for herself six hours away from her hometown.  She has taken the craft of cake baking and turned into an art with countless hours of experimenting, planning, and implementing.  Everyone loves a Mattie Cake.  She has a new man in her life, Sol, a quiet man who has a passion for hunting.  He lets her do her thing; she lets him do his thing.  Convenient companionship, I'd call it.  She still struggles with the anger and hurt that Gideon brought to her heart when he broke it three years later. What will happen when there is a sudden tragedy that sends her back to her hometown? 
Will her love for Sol survive seeing Gideon face to face again?  
Mrs. Woodsmall's relationships with women within the Amish community give her an insight into customs and details that many Amish genre novels do not include.  I always feel like I'm right there; and, I'm part of things.  The characters are not stiff and odd.  They exhibit true to life emotions, fear, fatigue, exhilaration, tenderness, anger, hope, and love.  I enjoy her books because I do not have to fear that there will be inappropriate themes or language.  I feel safe.  I'm a G rated reader.

The backdrop of snow, sleigh rides, weddings, and Christmas makes this is an excellent book to slip into during the holiday rush for a relaxing read on a cool Autumn or Winter night.

I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review.
Happy Autumn!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura