Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Review: Naomi's Gift... An Amish Christmas Story

Sometimes, I get a book and just love the way it feels in my hands.  You know what I mean...the size is right, the cover is smooth, and it's not too heavy to lie in bed and read.  Naomi's Gift was like that.  Silly?  Maybe, but things like that matter to this addicted reader. 

If the book is beautiful and the story enchanting...well that is just all the better.  See what I mean?  Isn't it lovely?  I've reviewed a couple of Mrs. Clipston's books, A Plain and Simple Christmas and A Gift of Grace.  She has yet to disappoint me. 


Naomi is a young Amish woman who has been disappointed in love twice.  Her mother and many of the community's ladies blame her for going after the young men she was interested in.  Naomi struggles with guilt over these failed relationships and feels that God wants her to live her life alone caring for her siblings.

Caleb is an Amish widower who lost his wife two years previously on Christmas Eve.  He feels guilt because he was unable to protect his wife and unborn child.  He has been living in another community since his marriage but comes home to spend the holidays with his family in an effort to ease the pain in his heart. 

Susie is Caleb's young daughter.  She meets Naomi initially when she is drawn to the quilts that Naomi is selling in the farmer's market.  Later, Susie meets Naomi again through the Kauffman family's Christmas activities.  Susie is drawn to Naomi just as Naomi is drawn to Susie.  Will Susie bring Naomi and Caleb together?  Will Naomi and Caleb settle the issues in their hearts?  Will love bloom like a Christmas cactus? 

I encourage you to pick up this delightful book which continues the Kauffman Amish Bakery series.  It stands alone as well; but, I warn you, once you read one of Mrs. Clipston's books, you will want to read them all. 


Amy Clipston is the author of the bestselling Kauffman Amish Bakery novels. She has a degree in communications from Virginia Wesleyan College and currently works for the city of Charlotte, North Carolina. Amy lives with her husband, two sons, and four spoiled-rotten cats. Visit her on the web at www.amyclipston.com.

I received this book from Zondervan in exchange for an honest review.
"Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

Our Holiday Journey

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful book!! Have a most blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds wonderful, Laura! Thanks for the review! Sounds like a book I'd like to pick up!

    Blessings,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura