Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Review: Wits and Wagers

Some of you many remember that we are not a game playing family- yet.  Each game review that we do is teaching us to "play nice" together as a family.  We're learning not to pout when it doesn't go our way.  We're learning to be happy for each other.  We're learning not to be bossy with each other.  We're learning to follow directions.  We're learning to be kind.  We're learning that rules are rules.  We are learning patience.  We're learning to have fun in a whole new way for our family.
Photobucket

Things we liked: 
The meeples game pieces were cute.  See the little yellow guy on the front of the package?  He's a meeple.  It was nice to hold something that wasn't plastic.  These were made of wood.  Northstar Games describes them like this, "The game features 300 new family-friendly questions. And even better than that, Wits & Wagers Family includes Meeples-- fun, cute, human shaped wooden pieces that the players use to select which answers they think are correct. Meeples have been a hallmark in European style strategy games for years, but this is the first time they have made an appearance in a party game."

Dad and Mom really didn't have much of an advantage over the kids when it came to answering the questions.  I really had them bluffed when I answered the question about how many indians came to the first Thanksgiving, though.  They were all sure I knew the answer.  Nope.  I was guessing just like they were.  ~grin~  See, even if moms don't know everything, when they're young, they think we do. 

There are 150 question cards and a little tray that they sit in.  There are two questions on each card.  You ask the top question; then, move it to the back of the tray after the answer has been revealed.  You leave the cards in the same order no matter how many games you play.  After around ten games, you'll come to the little card that tells you that you've been through all the questions.  From that point on, you read the second question on each card.  In this way, you will answer 300 questions prior to repeating a question.  It keeps it all fresh and keeps the playing field level for all players.

I liked the scoring.  It was simple enough that our youngest child (10) could be scorekeeper.  She often feels like everyone is telling her what to do.  This gave her a chance to be in charge.  You get a point if your answer is closest to correct without going over.  All the answers are numbers.  You get a point if you put your little meeple on the correct answer.  You get two points if you put your big meeple on the correct answer.  You can put your meeples on anyone's answer. 
Things we didn't like:
We haven't come up with anything yet.
We tried the game out with 5 players.  I am looking forward to playing it in a group when our friends come over.  I think it could be a fun party game.  I'm not the only one.  Wits & Wagers Family has won awards.  Check it out!

Age 8 & up
3-10 players
Northstar Games
Click the button for more reviews from the Crew.
Photobucket

Photobucket
I received this game free of charge for an honest review as part of the Old Schoolhouse Review Crew.

2 comments:

  1. I want to use this one for our next party as well, it was a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura,

    Thanks for the great review! My name is Andrew and I work for North Star Games. I was hoping you could repost this on amazon.com.

    If you have any questions, please email me at andrew@northstargames.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm healing from breast cancer surgery on October 20th and dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura