Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Review: The Christmas Lamp


This was a quick and fun Christmas read.  By the way, I am not really rushing the season for me.  I love Christmas books all year round.  I start listening to Christmas music in September whenever the mood strikes.  It's great nesting, baking, crafting music.  Christmas novels just make me feel like snuggling under a warm blanket and relaxing.  If it's cold enough for a blanket, it's close enough to Christmas for a good story. 

I chose The Christmas Lamp because it is set in Nativity, Missouri, not far from Branson and Springfield.  Nativity is a once upon a time town that no longer exists— but, it was the perfect setting for the story. 

Nativity is facing the same dilemma that many small towns have faced over the last fifty or sixty years.  Once a thriving town with abundant highway traffic, now bypassed by the new highway system, Nativity is struggling. 

Enter Jake Briscoe.  Briscoe is a numbers guy.  Too busy for love and friendship, he's spent his life working and working hard.  His latest work is to balance Nativity's budget and to try to save the town.  While he's not anti-Christmas cheer, he's definitely anti-Christmas spending. 

This doesn't set well with Roni Elliott who has lived in Nativity her entire life.  Christmas spirit and Nativity just go together, from the huge Christmas tree that receives more than it's share of attention by motorists, to the home decorating contest, she loves it all.    All the things that make Christmas the "most wonderful time of the year" in Nativity cost money.  Money that the town and Roni consider well worth it.

Will Jake Briscoe and Roni Elliott find a middle ground and save Nativity?

I enjoyed this book.  The chapters had convenient breaks making this an easy book to pick up and read for just a few minutes at a time.   That makes it easy to read in the car, while standing in line, or as a quick break between activities.


I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review.  Opinions expressed are my own.

Feel free to start your Merry Christmas whenever you're ready!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm healing from breast cancer surgery on October 20th and dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura