Thursday, December 1, 2011

Review: Artistic Pursuits

Dad is the artist.  He draws and oil paints.   Mom cannot draw a stick man with style.  Given time, a few lessons from this book could change that.  Well, that is if this old dog can learn a few tricks. 

My children, on the other hand, are enjoying this book very much.  The text is written so that the child can read, study, and do the drawing on his own.  This is a big plus for moms like me who are art phobic.  Click the book for more information about this level.

We reviewed Grades The Elements of Art and Composition Grades 4-6 book one by Brenda Ellis.  I liked the conversational tone of the writing.  Each Unit consisted of four lessons:

1.  Vocabulary and Creative Exercise
2.  Art Appreciation and Art History
3.  Techniques
4.  Application

The author is not trying to make your child draw a picture that looks just like what they drew.  The idea is that your child should learn to make their own original art.  Mrs. Ellis teachs students to:

1.  "Learn to observe the world around you- to really see it."
2.  "Learn what to look for."
3.  "Learn to focus on one element of art at a time, while drawing, and block out the others."

We're just a few lessons into the book.  The children started with Dad but will continue on their own.  Mom will help and learn along with the kids.  I don't really know much about teaching art; but, this book makes sense to me.  More importantly, it's making sense to my children.

It is non-consumable; so, I am able to use it with all three of my children at once.  That's a plus for a mom on a budget.  It retails for $42.95.





Supply kits are available. 

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book in order to provide a review for the TOS Review Crew. I was under no obligation to provide a favorable review.
~~~~~
May I suggest?
One of My Favorite Paintings
~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura