Welcome

Harvest Lane Cottage is a place to find encouragement, and hopefully, be inspired to do, read, write, or cook something wonderful. Most importantly, I want to share my love for Jesus Christ with you. He is the center of my life, the center of who I am. No, I'm not perfect. I fail, I fall, I'm tempted, but I keep going back to the One who makes me clean again.

Relax, enjoy yourself, be refreshed. Then, please leave me a comment. I love it when my readers "talk back". I won't tell your momma, I promise!

Laura Lane

Happy in my Jesus and in my home.


Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, January 16, 2012

Review: A Mile in His Shoes

I just spent a delightful evening with friends enjoying a fabulous family movie.  I smiled and laughed and just had a good time. 

Dean Cain gives a heartfelt performance as a coach whose team is down on it's luck.  As he's traveling to check out a new pitching candidate, his car runs off the road.  He meets Mickey (Luke Schroder), a pig loving 18 year old boy man with Aspberger's syndrome, a form of autism.  As they're walking to the house for the phone, Mickey talks of his pigs and their love of apples.  He loves smashing apples.  Mickey's father is an unfriendly, hard man who lets Coach Murph use his phone then orders him back to his car, but not before the coach sees a miracle outside the window. 

Mickey is outside feeding the pigs.  He's throwing apples at an old bucket that's nailed up above the pig trough.  The bucket's not the only thing that's nailed.  He nails the bucket every time.  Murph tries talking to Mickey's father but hits a brick wall.  He leaves his card and goes on his way.  The story unfolds and Mickey ends up getting his chance to try out for the team.  I'm not telling another thing about the story line; because, it's just so good, you've got to watch it yourself.

There was one little scene I just loved.  Mickey and his dad were in their living room.  Mickey was watching a baseball game.  Mickey is glued to the set.  His dad was reading a paper.  His mother came in, didn't say a word, but placed a plate of cookies beside his father.  As his father took a cookie, he found a little card under it that changed the course of Mickey's life.

Schroder and Cain give excellent performances.  They seem as if they truly are the characters they are portraying.  I was very pleased.  This is a Dove family film.

A Mile in His Shoes is based  on a true story.

A Mile in His Shoes is rated PG.  I am pretty picky about what I allow my children to watch.  To me PG means I need to preview the program prior to allowing my children, especially my younger children to watch it.  I found that the thematic elements that were less than wholesome, a party and a fight, were handled well.  A child would see far more in a Disney movie than in this movie. 
I think this rates 5 stars.

"Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."
Growing Home

30 comments:

annie said...

Sounds like a good movie. One of our favorites is a very old one, "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea", the old Disney version with Kirk Douglas. My son is grown, but he still likes to watch it.

Gloria said...

Facing the Giants is watched almost every Sunday evening in our home. We still cry EVERY time!

Deb said...

Courageous and it comes out today! ;)

Debra "Deb" Dresden Disney-Dior said...

Oh, I love movies! The bad thing about movies, at least for me, my favorite movie is ALWAYS the last movie I saw. :( As I stop to think about it, I adore ALL the "left Behind" movies... and I LOVE any Disney movies. I just saw "Up" for the 100th time. I lost my heart to "Dug."

The Zoo Keeper said...

My favorite movie is Fried Green Tomatoes!!! LOVE that movie!!!

Family Style School said...

I love so many movies!! We have recently been getting into all the American Girl movies.

I would love to win this.

carolwegs said...

one of our favorite family movies is Toy Story. Thanks
carolwegs at gmail dot com

Kristen said...

Toy Story 3 is one of our favorite movies.

kristen_yeh at yahoo dot com

Deb said...

Hey, can I get two entries if I put this on FB? JOKE.... just giving you a hard time, Laura, all the way from Montana! Miss you! Deb

Bambi @ In the Nursery of the Nation said...

Would love to win! One of our favs is Runners From Ravenshead :)

Jacqueline @ Deeprootsathome.com said...

Our favorites are Faith Like Potatoes, Courageous, and Runners ?From Ravenshead. I'm glad you joined us for 'EOA' at Deep Roots At Home.

Cara Hembd said...

Our Family does not watch very many movies maybe one every 2 or 3 months, so needless to say we are very picky and we put a lot of thought into the movie's we show our children. Our three favorites are 1. Dinosaurs by Kent Hovind (Even though it is a lecture, Kent is so funny and the children quote him all the time)
2. Arctic Tale (Oh so cute and sweet)
3. Love Comes Softly: This one has a few things I don't like such as showing the first husband die, however it really got my children excited about Marti getting saved and it was sweet to see them feel the emotions of the movie.

Jeni Monroe said...

I would have to say that Facing the Giants is my all time fav family movie =)...Angels in the Outfield is a close second.

tranch said...

fav is the wizard of OZ

Marci (joyfulheart26@hotmail.com) said...

We love the Wizard of Oz!

Heather said...

My favorite family movie is Lady and the Tramp.

Heather K.
mysticbutterfly37 at yahoo.com

Tara Oliver said...

We love the Narnia series!! thanks for the giveaway!
tara.the.equestrian at gmail dot com

cpage2323 said...

My mate would love this movie. As for our favorites to watch with the kids Princess Bride probably tops the list with Iron Giant being a close second.

trixie420247 at yahoo dot com

Kelly Tillotson said...

The Lion King!
Thanks!
*kelly
kelly-tillotson@hotmail.com

Carrie said...

I loved Facing the Giants, Flywheel, anything put out by the Kendrick brothers...some of their topics are not for children, but they deal with the topics with grace and Scripture and I think God is glorified in it...

I have heard so many good things about this movie...I would love to see it!
C~

Anonymous said...

WAith my kids it's the Narnia series of movie they absolutley love them wilcarvic
[at]gmail[dot[com]]

cdziuba said...

cdziuba@aol.com We all enjoy Finding Nemo

deanna said...

fave: remember the titans
deannalw47 AT hotmail DOT com
xoxoxo

Robin Blankenship said...

We love Lion KIng, Beauty and the Beast and Nemo

robinblankenship@gmail.com

Candie L said...

We love the Spiderwick Chronicles. Thank you

candieluster(at)gmail(dot)com

Jessica P said...

I love the Lion King! jessicapeeling@yahoo.com

Shawn said...

One of our favorite family movies is Pollyanna.

shawn113(at)hotmail(dot)com

casey aubut said...

We just watcehd Flicka the other day and my 5 year old cried when the dad sold her horse. It was the most precious moment I will never forget!
cassandra@aubut.net

Jenny said...

Our favorite family movie is The Sound of Music.

jenny_anwar at yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Our family loves Fireproof. Thanks for the giveaway! dannogrl3@gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

All Time Most Popular Posts