Friday, February 17, 2012

Review: Apologia Who Am I? And What Am I Doing Here?

One of the fun things about reviews is that you get packages in the mail.  This one was a complete surprise!  Who doesn't love surprises?  Imagine my delight when I found these terrific products from Apologia. 
Photobucket
Who Am I? comes in a lovely hardcover book.  It's beautifully bound in such a way that it not only feels great in your hand, the quality ensures that this will be a book that you can use with multiple children and pass on when you're finished with it.  It is the second book in a series by Apologia.

There is extensive explanation to the teaching parent about how to implement study of this book in the introduction.  It suggests a schedule of three weeks per lesson, two days per week.  It then breaks down what to do each day.  Each lesson includes the following elements:

The Big Idea -  Introduces the main topic.
What You Will Do - Learning Objectives
Short Story - Well written stories that show children of differing world views and how the concepts are integrated into life.
Think About It - Thought provoking questions about the short story.
Words You Need to Know - Important vocabulary words that will help children understand church services and have the vocabulary to communicate their faith.
Hide It in Your Heart - Memory verses. 
Integrated Learning -  Articles intended to integrate art, math, science, history and more.
What Should I Do? - Putting information learned to practice in real life.
Prayer - Just what it says.  Praying about putting concepts learned into practice.
Worldviews in Focus - Passages about children being raised with different worldviews in different cultures.  They are intended to help the student understand why others believe different worldviews.
House of Truth - a visual memory aid.
$39.00

Photobucket

If you want to enjoy Who Am I? hands free, the text is available as a mp3 cd.  It requires either an mp3 cd player or a computer.  We listened to part of the text on the computer.  My children thought that the reader's voice was void of expression.  We enjoyed reading it aloud ourselves better.
$19.00

Photobucket
The Notebooking Journal is beautiful.  There is room for the student to take notes, do enrichment activities such as:  copywork, word puzzles, prayer journaling, praise journaling and more.
$24.00

Photobucket
The Coloring Book.  These are lovely illustrations to color.  Even my older children wanted in on the coloring fun.  It helps to keep little hands busy while little ears are listening. 

$8.00


My thoughts:  We have begun using this curriculum.  I think that the twice a week format is good.  I will continue to use this with my 14, 12, and 10 year olds.  This is the best laid out curriculum for Bible and Character instruction that I have seen so far in 16 years of homeschooling.  The the stories are not typical textbook type stories.  They are very well written.  I would consider this text to be best for upper elementary and middle school age.  I think it will valuable for my 14 year old as well as my 10 year old.  I do recommend that you look into this curriculum further.

Please click the banner to read what other crew members think about this curriculum.

Photobucket

I received this product for free in exchange for an honest review.
~~~~~
May I suggest?
 The Pilgrim Story
~~~~~

2 comments:

  1. It sounds and looks great. I have never used Apologia. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your review. We used Who Is God this school year. I am looking forward to using Who Am I in fall.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm healing from breast cancer surgery on October 20th and dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura