Monday, March 12, 2012

Review: Beauty for Ashes

MY THOUGHTS:
I always enjoy historical fiction.  No page skipping required.  It's a nice clean love story.   Falling in love wasn't what either Carrie or Griff had in mind.  They each had hopes and plans that went totally to the wayside every time they saw each other.  It was very romantic.  It's a love story; BUT, it's a safe love story.  No worries about unchaste behavior.  I really enjoyed reading as they worked through their contradictory feelings and emotions.  There is plenty of drama happening in the background, too, that makes the outcome just a little bit tricky and uncertain.  Learning to live with step-families, making hard decisions, horse training, child training, seeking God, it's all in there.  I think you'd enjoy this one, especially if you don't want to have to skip pages with a blush.

ABOUT THE BOOK: 
She's a beautiful young widow. He’s a Southern gentleman with a thirst for adventure. Both need a place to call home.
After losing her husband in the Civil War, Carrie Daly is scared she will never have the family she longs for. Eligible bachelors are scarce in Hickory Ridge, Tennessee, but Carrie has found love. Not the weak-in-the-knees kind, but something practical. Still, she isn't quite ready to set a wedding date with Nate Chastain.


Griff Rutledge is a former member of Charleston society, but has been estranged from his family for years. He’s determined to remain unattached, never settling in one place for too long. But when asked to train a Thoroughbred for an upcoming race in Hickory Ridge, he decides to stay awhile.
Despite objections from the townsfolk, and her fear that true happiness has eluded her, Carrie is drawn to Griff's kindness and charm. It will take a leap of faith for them to open their hearts and claim God's promise to give beauty for ashes.

THE AUTHOR:  Before returning to her writing roots in historical fiction, Dorothy Love published twelve novels for young adults. Her work has garnered numerous honors from the American Library Association, the Friends of American Writers, the International Reading Association, the New York Public Library, ad many others. The Hickory Ridge Novels mark her Christian fiction debut. 

"Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm healing from breast cancer surgery on October 20th and dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura