Thursday, April 19, 2012

Review: God's Great Covenant

I have officially decided that I really like Classical Academics Press.  I recently reviewed Art of Argument which my daughter absolutely loves.  I jumped at the chance to try God's Great Covenant New Testament 1 The Gospels by Claire A. Larsen.  I found the curriculum quite impressive.  I need to preface this by telling you that my daughter prefers to read straight from the Bible rather than doing any kind of Bible study workbook. 


The curriculum consists of four units covering 36 weeks.  Units include: 
  I.  Jesus, the Son of Man, Has Come... To Live Among His People
 II.  Jesus, God's Servant, Has Come... To Proclaim the Good News
III.  Jesus, the Messiah, Has Come... To Teach About God's Kingdom
IV.  Jesus, The Son of God, Has Come... To Conquer Sin and Death
PhotobucketThere is an immense amount of information in the introductions:    historical/political introduction, chronological introduction, geographical introduction, religious introduction, and a daily life introduction.  I learned a lot and will read it again.  While they are immensely important,  I would advise reading the introductions with your child a bit at a time.  My daughter, 14, was a little overwhelmed with the reading and content.  She has a rather heavy course load right now that may have added to her feeling.  If I'd had her read a little and start right in on the lessons, it might have helped.





This curriculum is just jam packed with information that will cause your student to think not just memorize.  Click photos to see them enlarged.
Features:
    Photobucket
  • 36 weekly chapters, divided into 4 themed units
  • Each chapter contains:
    • A memory page that includes a weekly memory verse, key facts chart, fulfillment of prophecy section
    • A thought-provoking “Think About It” question that encourages children to consider how to relate to God in their own lives
    • A worksheet and quiz
  • Unit reviews that contain a memory verse worksheet, devotional guide, and a fun short story of life in Simon’s world
    
PhotobucketPhotobucket

This is a peek at a page of the teacher's book.  See all those lines?  Lots of space for notes.  Yay!  I'm a write notes in my Bible kind of girl, so I liked all the note space.  Lots of additional information for the teacher also.  That's a help with answering the why and how questions students so often have.

This is another great product from Classical Academic Press.  I encourage you to read more on their website and click on the TOS banner below to read what other reviewers thought.

Photobucket





Do check it out at the website and click on the banner below to read more Old Schoolhouse Homeschool Reviews.


Photobucket




Disclaimer:  I received this product in exchange for an honest review as part of the Old Schoolhouse Review Crew.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm healing from breast cancer surgery on October 20th and dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura