Friday, May 4, 2012

Review: The Messenger

"Hannah Sunderland felt content in her embrace of the Quaker faith... until her twin brother joined the Colonial cause and ended up in jail. She longs to bring some measure of comfort to him in the squalid prison, but her faith forbids it. The Friends believe that they are not to take sides, not to take up arms. She is not allowed to visit him, even if she were able to secure a pass.

Jeremiah Jones, a Colonial spy, needs access to the jail to help rescue men important to the cause. Upon meeting Hannah, a plan begins to develop. Who would suspect a pious Quaker visiting a loved one?

But Jeremiah is unprepared for Hannah, for her determination to do right, to not lie. How can one be a spy and not lie? Hannah, in turn, is surprised by Jeremiah... for the way he forces her to confront her own beliefs, for the sensitivity and concern that he shows her despite the wounds he still carries.
In a time of war, can two unlikely heroes find the courage to act?"
My thoughts:

Don't read this book before bed!

A couple of nights ago, I deciced to read The Messenger just before bed.  Um... bad idea.  The next thing I knew, it was one o'clock... and, I was still reading.  Just one more chapter.... just one more chapter....  Based upon a backdrop of the Revolutionary war, Jeremiah and Hannah tell the story in first person narrative.  It's rather like reading their diaries or listening over tea, or in Jeremiah's case, rum, as Hannah and Jeremiah each tell the deep thoughts of their hearts and the actions those thoughts bring forth. 

They each are fighting their own personal battles within themselves as well as the greater battle they find themselves in.  Jeremiah and Hannah find themselves embroiled in a plot not of their own choosing to try to free the prisoners in the King's prison.  Jeremiah and Hannah are like oil and water, one a tavern keeper who will serve whoever's winning and one a politically neutral Friend.

I learned a few new things about the colonial period, how the civilians were treated and reacted to that treatment, and the Quaker Friends faith.  I found this to be a well researched book.  The characters were well developed.  The inner struggles arising from a conflict of religion and principles were central to the theme.

I really liked the book.  While the book is complete, a sequel is possible; and, I want to read it.

Five stars

Disclosure:  Bethany House sent this book to me in exchange for an honest review.
"Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of a book that reads more like a diary...great review!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura