Friday, June 1, 2012

Review: A Perfect Square Vanetta Chapman








Callie the Englischer and Deborah, her Amish friend, are back in a new mystery.  Perhaps you remember them from  Falling to Pieces, Vannetta Chapman's first book in the Shipshewana Mystery Series.

A few months ago, I was delighted when my friend Charity from Michigan told me that Shipshewana is a real place with a real weekend market.  I only wish I were closer to visit!

Picking wildflowers turns to tragedy when Esther and Deborah, Callie's Amish friends, find a young woman floating in the pond.  Reuben, Esther's future brother-in-law and the owner of the land, and the authorities are called in.  Reuben refuses to cooperate with police.  His silence leads to his arrest.  Is he just a quiet man or is he hiding something?  Can Callie, Deborah, and Esther find the true killer?

As tensions rise,  an elderly Amish man comes to the quilt shop and  begs help from Callie to help him find his dochder (daughter).  He seems disoriented; Callie calls his son to pick him up and is told that there is no daughter.  This seems like a disruption in the plot.  How does this fit into the story? 

Wondering if it's your style?  You can read the first couple of chapters here to help you decide.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.  You can be sure I'm looking forward to the next book in the series, Material Witness.

Disclaimer:  I received this book from Zondervan in exchange for an honest review.
You might also like to read my other Shipshewana Amish mystery reviews.
First book:  Falling to Pieces
Third book:  Material Witness

Linking with:
Miscellany Monday
Friday Favorite Things
Reading List Cozy Book Hop

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting... I'll keep this in mind!

    Thanks for linking up with Cozy Book Hop

    Marissa @ forfunreadinglist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura