Friday, August 3, 2012

Review: Economics for Everybody, R.C. Sproul, Jr.


I am so excited about this curriculum.   R.C. Sproul, Jr. is an engaging teacher who makes economics come alive.  The use of vintage videos in exemplifying concepts keeps the student's interest and keeps things fresh.  Sproul takes a subject which many students would find boring and injects it with relevance, enthusiasm and even a little humor.  Economics is taught from a Christian perspective.

Here are some of the things that are covered:
1.  God Created Economics... What is Economics?  Why study Economics?
2. The Economic Problem of Sin | Law, Liberty & Government
3. The Path from Work to Wealth
4. The Route From Scarcity to Plenty | Money, Markets & Trade
5. The Role of the Entrepreneur | Capital, Calculation & Profit
6. A Tale of Two Theologies, Part 1 | From God to Politics
7. A Tale of Two Theologies, Part 2 | Economic Philosophies & Systems
8. Government Intervention | Basic Principles & Education
9. The Two Mysteries of Monetary Policy | Inflation & Depressions
10. The Welfare & Corporate States of America | The Costs of Redistribution
11. Economics Has Consequences | The Real Effects of Sin
12. Kingdom Economics

Basically, the idea is to watch one lesson per week, read the corresponding chapter in the study guide and answer the questions in the study guide.  Additional resources are available on their website.  They also give suggestions for textbooks that can provide additional information should you desire it for high school credit.

I'll be using these videos and the accompanying study guide with my ninth grader this year.  I plan to use it as is and later add more if I feel like it's needed.  I'm confident that if Emily gains a thorough understanding of the principles included in this series, she will be far ahead of many students her age in the comprehension of economics.  I'll let my younger students watch the videos as they wish.  It doesn't hurt to let them become familiar with economic terms early. 


From Compass who also brings us Visual Latin, one of my favorite homeschool products.

Disclaimers: 

*I received a download of this product in exchange for an honest review.  I am impressed with this product.  In fact, I purchased this product the first day it was available.  My money was later refunded in exchange for an honest review.

*I am now a Compass Store affiliate.  If you click on the banner above and decide to purchase something, I will receive a small commission.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura