Friday, August 24, 2012

Review: Ten Girls from History

Photobucket

Golden Prairie Press sent me Ten Girls from History, as an e-book, to review.

Photobucket We have enjoyed these stories as read alouds in the evenings.  The dramatized stories of real girl heroes are not only interesting to the family but an encouragement to our young ladies.  My listeners include a fourteen year old girl, a twelve year old boy, and an eleven year old girl. The stories are by Kate Dickinson Sweetser. They are edited by Amy Puetz, homeschool graduate. Since these are old stories, some of the language is a little dated; but, it's a good way to expose children to richer vocabulary.  The stories kept our attention all the way through. 

My favorite was Louisa May Alcott.  As the story of little Louisa's life unfolded, I found myself imagining life in the March family (Little Women).  Louisa reminded me so much of Jo with her dramatic, impetuous ways.  The industry of the family and the strong home life struck a chord with the desires I have for my family and home.  I'm inspired to keep us busy and industrious.

Amy, 11, read Molly Pitcher herself.  She had no trouble with the reading.  I think that she enjoyed it all the more because it was downloaded onto my Kindle.  Only educational books are allowed on the Kindle.

When I got to Madeleine De Verchere and Cofachiqui, I sure wish I'd had some kind of pronunciation guide. I know neither french nor indian. I did my best and went on. I just hope that if these heroines are mentioned in the future, the kids will be able to figure out it's the same person. ~smile~

The bravery, dedication, and commitment to duty were amazing qualities the heroines share.  These are qualities that I want to see come forth from my children.  Every example they read or hear of  people who exhibit these qualities helps. 

We didn't do anything particularly educational with this e-book, no unit studies, research or anything like that. We simply read and enjoyed the stories.  When these girls show up in our history studies, we may go back and read the stories again.

The ten girls include:
Louisa May Alcott: Author of Little Women
Clara Barton: The Angel of the Battlefield

Molly Pitcher: The Brave Gunner of the Battle of Monmouth
Cofachiqui: An Indian Princess
Madeleine De Vercheres: The Heroine of Castle Dangerous
Dorothy Quincy: A Girl of the American Revolution
Ida Lewis: The Heroine of Lime Rock Lighthouse
Elizabeth Van Lew: The Girl who Risked all for the Union
Virginia Reed: Midnight Heroine of the Plains
Clara Morris: The Girl who Won Fame as an Actress


Photobucket

Read Sample and view Table of Contents
E-book $15.00 from Golden Prairie Press
Paperback $25.00
MP3 Audio $25.00
Listen to Sample read by Jim Hodges

You can sign up for a free three week Heroines of the Past  Bible Study.

Photobucket

Disclaimer: As a member of the TOS Crew, I received this product, at no cost to me, in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are mine.

~~~~~
May I suggest?
~~~~~ 

Shared:
Reading List Cozy Book Hop

1 comment:

  1. Love this! And sometimes just reading a story allows so much learning to happen without the addition of study (not always, but sometimes). Besides the love of reading is priceless for education!

    So glad you linked up again with Cozy book hop! I love hearing what books are being read at your house

    Marissa
    http://forfunreadinglist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura