Friday, August 3, 2012

TOS REVIEW: King Alfred's English: A History of the Language We Speak and Why We Should Be Glad We Do

I've always been interested in the origins of words.   Even as a teen, I enjoyed reading dictionaries.  Just where did this word come from anyway?  Later, after I began homeschooling, I discovered history.  I know that sounds strange considering we had to study it all through school; but, history was just a bunch of dates and wars and maps that didn't really mean anything.  It wasn't connected to real life as far as I could see.  Homeschooling with real books changed that for me.  History came alive. 

Photobucket

King Afred's English is a living book.  It's a real, tangible story of the origins and history of the English language.  Laurie White is passionate about words; and, it shows.  Being a bit passionate about words myself, this book was written for me. ~smile~

My almost 13 year old Michael grabbed my Kindle and read this book whenever he could.  Don't you just love it when they want to learn?  It's even better when they think they're just having fun.  Why was this fun for Michael?  History!  Being more than a bit passionate about history, this book was written for Michael.  ~smile~

Beginning with Pre-English Britain, 55 BC-500 AD, Laurie White takes us on a journey through the history of Great Britain and the English language.  Why for, for instance, is England called Britain and England?  What in the world did Julius Caesar have to do with Britain?    King Arthur, King Alfred, King Cnut, Gauls, Druids, Constantine, language as evidence for design, the Brothers Grimm, the Church, Bede, Beowulf, the Norman invasion, William the Conqueror, Chaucer, John Wycliffe, Gutenberg, Greek, the Byzantine empire, Martin Luther, Henry VIII, Erasmus, the list goes on and on and on.  So many different influences on the language we now call English.

With all these stuffy old historic names, what you should know is that this is not a stuffy old book...and that's not because I read it on a Kindle!  This writing is alive and engaging.  It kept my attention, it moved quickly, yet gave just enough information. 

Do read the first chapter and see what you think.  This is one of my favorite products that I have reviewed.

First Chapter
Free supplemental materials for students and teachers

Chapter worksheets, unit tests, links, to online literature, primary sources, articles, images, videos, and suggested movies are available in the free supplemental materials.

Recommended age:  12 to adult
At the time of this writing, the lowest price was $14.89 at CBD.  It is also available at Amazon.
shorterword2


Photobucket

Disclaimer: As a member of the TOS Crew, I received this product, at no cost to me, in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are mine.
~~~~~
May I suggest?
~~~~~


Shared with:
Friday Favorite Things at Finding Joy
The Reading List

1 comment:

  1. What a great review - I am always amazed at how people and events shape every single part of a culture, it sounds like this books looks at that.

    thank you so much for linking this up with Cozy book!

    Marissa @ forfunreadinglist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura