Monday, August 13, 2012

TOS: Vocabulary Spelling City

Photobucket
VocabularySpellingCity is an Internet based program that can be used in schools or by parents with their children.  It is individualized by child.  You can type in the words in the child's spelling program or use one of the prepared lists on the website.  The children get practice with their spelling words and get instant feedback. 






Photobucket
Okay, true confession time.  I was assigned to review Vocabulary Spelling City last month.  I downloaded the information, signed up, and had my ten year old start using it.  Because this is an extra busy summer, I didn't realize at first that my daughter was not signing into the premium membership.  She was using the free option.  No wonder it didn't seem that she was making progress.  Upon signing her into the premium membership, her interest level went up significantly.  She began to ask to do what she calls Spelling City.  She liked the spelling tests, the teach me feature and of course, the games.  I think it's giving her good practice.  I look forward to using it with our spelling lists after school starts.  That's where the proof will be.  She focused primarily on the spelling tests during her practice time.  She found it fun to try to type in the correct spelling before the "teacher" was finished giving the definition.  The vocabulary test feature will be helpful with my older children.  Another feature that parents might like is the grade book.

The company has a version on-line that you can check out for free.  It lacks the bells and whistles; but, it can give you a feel for the program.  Take a look.  If you have children who learn well with the computer, this might be for you.
 
Up to 5 students on the family membership for $29.95 a year.
More information about the Premium Membership for Vocabulary Spelling City.
There is also a public/private school option for teachers or parents of children who are in school.

Photobucket

Disclaimer: As a member of the TOS Crew, I received this product, at no cost to me, in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are mine.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Laura....I've never heard of this until today. Great review! We're happy with our spelling curriculum but it's always nice to know what's out there, especially new things. As coordinator of our homeschool group, I like being able to pass information along to moms.

    Blessings,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm healing from breast cancer surgery on October 20th and dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura