Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Plan for Making and Doing This Week & Funny Macaroni and Cheese Recipe

Hello Ladies!

So good of you to drop in today.  I've been thinking of things I would like to get done over the next week or so.  I probably should have started Monday; but, you know how it is.  Always something to do.  So, here are some things I hope to do.

Baking:
I recently bought a 50 pound bag of thick rolled oats.  Time for some old-fashioned oatmeal cookies.  I didn't get them made last week, and I've been wanting them!  I've baked with this recipe ever since I was a little girl.  I have no idea where it originated.  The only recipe I have is in my own little girl handwriting.  This week I'll adding walnuts instead of raisins.

Harvesting:
Jalapeno peppers are still waiting on the vine this week.  I need to get them in before they grow too big!

Canning or Freezing:
I'm not sure yet.  I may make some Jalapeno Jam if I can make time.  If not, I'll just pop the peppers in the freezer... unless I can get Lowell to make some Jalapeno Poppers!  His recipe makes the absolute best poppers. 

Reading:
YouVersion's Historical Reading Plan.  I'll finish 1st Samuel and begin 2nd Samuel.  I'm way ahead of the reading plan.  Most days it calls for 3 chapters.  I'm accustomed to reading 10!  Sometimes I use Bible Gateway and listen until I need to do something else. ~smile~ 

I've also been reading 10 Christians Everyone Should Know.  I'm really enjoying it.

Watch for review soon.
 
Sewing:
This week I'll be making plans for Christmas gifts and helping the girls cut out their skirts.

Knitting:
Garter stitch dishcloth.
Size 10 needles.
Cast on 30 stitches and knit back and forth until it measures square. These are for my son Matthew's new kitchen.

Saving Money:
We helped my son buy a new starter for his truck, so I'm trying to eat out of the food we have on hand.  Not an easy task, the cupboards are a bit more bare than usual.  We also lost all of our food in the deep freeze this weekend.  Somehow, it got unplugged.  It had been that way too long to save any of the food.  ~frown~  So, it will be sitting empty for awhile. 

Funny Thrifty Macaroni and Cheese:
We ate some funny macaroni and cheese last night.  It was part macaroni, part broken up manicotti shells, and part spaghetti! 

I made the sauce by whisking a cup of milk and 2 tablespoons of cornstarch together.  I added it to two tablespoons of hot melted butter and whisked it in the pan over medium high heat.  I added a little more milk when it got thick.  Next I cut up chunks of cheddar cheese into the mixture and stirred.  I added milk and stirred until it was of a thickness I liked.  I poured this over the cooked funny macaroni.  Not bad!  It used up odds and ends from the cupboard, too!  I guess I could call it Declutter Mac and Cheese!


Thanks so much for dropping in!  I'd love to hear some of your plans for this week.  It's so nice to have a chat over the back fence  internet with you today!

Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage
Happy at Home

~~~~~
May I suggest?

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a great plan for the week! I hope you get alot accomplished!

    Have a great week!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm healing from breast cancer surgery on October 20th and dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura