Thursday, September 20, 2012

Review: A Cry From Egypt from Raising Real Men

Photobucket




Busy.  It's the word I hear every time I ask, "How are you?"  We're always on the go it seems.  But- we don't even begin to understand busy.  Imagine working from dawn to dusk at hard, physical labor.  Imagine an angry man watching your every move just waiting for a chance to hit you or whip you.  Imagine never ever ever getting a day off ever.

Set at the time of Moses, the confrontation with Pharoah, and the plagues, A Cry From Egypt gives the reader a very human look at what conditions may have been like for a young Israelite girl and her family.  Fear, anger, hate, frustration and distrust fill the pages as we're transported back thousands of years to meet Jarah and her family.  It's a family divided though together.  Mother embraces the Egyptian gods.  Father worships Jehovah and is teaching his children to do so.  Tempers flare as a result of the grueling work, exhaustion, and differences of religion at home.  To make things worse, There's this guy called Moses.  He's been talking to Pharoah.  Is Moses just a trouble maker?  Is he just making everything worse?  Is there any hope of relief from the miserable conditions they live under? 

A Cry from Egypt brought new perspective to my reading of the Exodus account in Scripture.  Good fiction is not just entertaining but enlightening, too.  This book met that expectation.  It just seemed to add flesh to the bones of the story.  Moses is seen from a distance, but the true focus is on Jarah's family and the struggles of slavery.  You know, I've read the story from Exodus many times.  I never stopped and imagined just what it was like for the Israelite families.  Perspective is everything.  The descriptions of the beatings were a bit difficult for me to read, but not as difficult as they would have been to endure. 

I read this with my 15, 13, and 11 year olds.  I think it would probably be good for the parent to preread this book if it were to be read by students younger than mine.  I liked the book.  I think it would be an excellent addition to your study of Exodus.  The kids liked it too.  We are history lovers and this was a book that made history come alive by showing not only the facts but some of the ways people thought and felt.











A Cry from Egypt is the first book in The Cry of the Promised Land series.






The author, Hope Auer, was a homeschooled student.  I am always excited to see what homeschooled students are accomplishing.  This book originated in a homeschool study of Egypt when she was younger.  It grew and grew and has become a novel.  I love that.  I have high hopes that each of my children will find something about which they are passionate to this degree.  I think knowing that Miss Auer has become a published author makes it seem more attainable to them.
Another great product from Raising Real Men at Great Waters Press for both boys and girls. 



Photobucket
Disclaimer: As a member of the TOS Crew, I received this product, at no cost to me, in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are mine.

Photobucket


5 comments:

  1. Laura,

    Thanks so much for sharing this review! I know we would love it...we love historical fiction so much. And when I read a homeschooled girl wrote it, I was thrilled. We are always encouraging Joy to pursue her writing love. She is working on a piece now (historical fiction) dated in the World War II era. I'm sharing your post with her today.

    Thanks so much!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very intriguing - that is a perspective that would be worth seeing. Thank you linking this one up...


    Marissa
    Http://forfunreadinglist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love historical fiction and can't wait to read this and share it with my children. I wonder how much it really did happen that one parent believed in God while the other followed the Egyptian gods.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to read this with my children! Wow, to the homeschooled author!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to read this with my children! Wow, to the homeschooled author!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura