Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Review: A Sound Among the Trees, Susan Meissner



Once upon a time, a long time ago, in the land of not yet saved, I read spooky stories.  In fact, my mom and I would buy a book and tag team read it.  Interesting sort of bonding, isn't it?  When I think of the books we read, yuck!  Thankfully, we both met Jesus and our lives and reading changed.  I hope to do some tag team reading with my daughter, Emily, this year; but, I think we'll be reading a different type of book.  ~smile~ 

A Sound Among the Trees is a book that fits in the spooky genre while still offering a Christian message. 

Holly Oak, a house with a history in Fredricksburg, a town torn by the Civil War.  A house with a past that haunts the present.  What is it about that attic, the cellar, the parlor, and the slave quarters that makes Edna, a self-proclaimed clairvoyant, so nervous?
Susannah, a young woman who sewed Confederate soldiers during the Civil War and was rumored to be a spy for the Union and maybe more.
Adelaide, an old woman nearing ninety, who sews Civil War uniforms just as she has all of her life in the same parlor as her great-grandmother Susannah sewed.
Marielle, a new bride living in a house rumored to be haunted with her new husband, his two children, his deceased wife's grandmother, and the memories or is it ghost of the first wife.
Add in suspicious and superstitious blue haired ladies, and you've got quite a twisted tale.




This page turner made me want to leave off everything else and read.  I found it a bit spooky to read it at night- but I did.  The character development was excellent.  The secrets this family kept, oh my!  I want to share so much, but I'd spoil it for you.   It didn't unfold as I thought it would.  I just couldn't guess what would happen next.  Unpredictable is good.   I liked the way this story stretched my imagination a bit, made me nervous at times, made me smile and even laugh a couple of times, filled me with compassion for the characters and satisfied me with the ending even though I wanted more..  Resolution came in an unexpected way and from an unexpected source.  God's like that, too, isn't He?  This doesn't have the strong Christian message that I'd hoped for, but it is there in a subtle way, different types of love, the need for resolution and salvation, it's there, but not in a strong way.  I think it would cross over into the secular market well. 

It did have two instances where s-- was mentioned, but nothing actually happened in the book.  Still, it's enough that I won't be handing it to my just turned fifteen homeschooled daughter.

Take a look at the trailer, the excerpts and see what you think.  I read the information several times before I decided to read the book.  I am glad I chose to read it.  I found it quite entertaining.

Susan Meissner
Excerpt
Reading Guide







"I received this book for free from Waterbrook Multnomah for this review."
Linked with:
Grace at Home
Cozy Book Hop

3 comments:

  1. This one's going on my to-read list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting - It is always refreshing to come across a book that develops in an expected way - it allows us to adapt also.

    thank you so much for linking up again this week with cozy book hop

    Marissa
    http://forfunreadinglist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job reviewing this book! I liked it, but it wasn't my favorite of Susan's. Have you read any of her other books? I loved 'The Shape of Mercy!'

    I noticed you are going to review '10 people every christian should know' I read '50 people every christian should know' and really enjoyed it. Look forward to reading your upcoming review!

    Found your blog through 'the cozy book hop' and happy to follow. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm healing from breast cancer surgery on October 20th and dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura