Monday, October 15, 2012

Review: Practicing the Presence of Jesus



It began with a single statement. 

"The guy talking to Ben Crenshaw?  Oh, that's Jesus." 

Wouldn't that get your attention?  Well, it got Mr. Armstrong's attention.  Actually, he was speaking of the actor who played Jesus in The Passion of Christ movie a few years ago.  It made Mr. Armstrong think, though.  It was one of the things that lead him to do an experiment.  He set a chair across the room from him and began to imagine Jesus sitting in it.  He imagined Jesus wearing present day clothes and speaking in present day language.  Just like an ordinary guy- only not.  He imagined talking with him like a friend.  In the process of this experiment that became a habit, he drew closer to Jesus.  The whole point of the book is that thinking of Jesus as actually present, as a friend, can make your relationship with Him so much more real to you... so much more applicable.

I found this book to be very interesting.  I'd never really thought of imagining Jesus with me in that way.  At times, I've felt very aware of the presence of  Jesus.  Other times, I don't really think about Him.  Reading this book made me think about it.  He is with me always, because I'm a born again believer.  I'm just not always paying attention to His presence.   Mr. Armstrong wrote a nice, easy-to-read book that directs my attention to where it should be- on my best friend Jesus.  This was a short book.  Small in stature, but worthy of the time I spent reading it.  

Here's what the publisher has to say:

"Experience the Gift of His Friendship.  Do you want to experience Jesus as real? When we look at Jesus' life on earth, we see Him calling people to simply know Him. He made no demand on them to believe theological propositions. 'Follow me' was the invitation which they accepted. They got to know and communicate with the real person. There is a big difference between believing something is true and experiencing it as real. This is the story of how Wally Armstrong learned to communicate with the real person of Jesus in his everyday life. Armstrong experiences Jesus up close and personal and introduces readers to the same experience. In a conversational manner, he explores what it is like to have a relationship with Jesus as if He is sitting right there next to us. He keeps an empty chair ready and imagines Jesus sitting beside him as they talk."
Link to buy the book: http://ow.ly/erBu0 
Links to other reviews at the landing page:
Christian Living 

$12.99
ISBN 978-1-60936-702-2

I received this book from LitFuse in exchange for an honest review.


Linked with:

3 comments:

  1. Wow, this looks like a really interesting book! Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great concept for a book - Love that you shared this at Cozy book hop

    Marissa
    http://forfunreadinglist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't heard of this book, but the review sounds fantastic! I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm healing from breast cancer surgery on October 20th and dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura