Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Review: Material Witness ~ A Shipshewana Amish Mystery Vanetta Chapman

Synopsis:
"The Fall Crafters' Fair has barely begun in Shipshewana when murder strikes the small town once again---this time on the property of Daisy's Quilt Shop. It will take all of the sleuthing skills Deborah Yoder and Callie Harper possess to catch the perpetrator. But the stakes are higher than ever before, since the material witness is their best friend's child. Everyone will have to go on a journey of faith deep into the heart of God’s grace." ~ Zondervan

It all started yesterday, at the car repair shop, while I was getting my oil changed.  Yesterday, mind you.  I had to sit in the waiting room from 9:00 until nearly noon.  I opened my new book.  Suddenly my body was in the repair shop, but my mind was in Shipshewana entangled in yet another Vanetta Chapman mystery.  A young boy witnessed a murder outside Callie's quilt shop.  Worse, he was seen.  As tensions built, I had to read one more page, one more page.   Last evening, after supper, I was back in Shipshewana at Daisy's Quilt show with Deborah and Callie, trying to piece together the mystery until after 11:00!  Guess where I was this morning?  Yep.  This book really drew me in.  Perhaps it was the inclusion of children in the storyline that increased my desire to bring this to a conclusion.  Perhaps it was the brevity of the book's duration, it covered a period of just one long weekend during the annual event.  All I know is I enjoyed it and enjoyed it quickly.

I am intrigued by the way that Callie Harper is drawn into the Amish community in this book.  Material Witness is the third of the Shipshewana Amish Mystery stories I've read.  Character development is strong in this series, building from the first book like a growing friendship.  Callie, the main character struggles through many emotions after she finds someone she knew murdered.  Deborah, Melissa, and Esther as well as their families try to protect Callie and bring the perpetrator to justice.  Shane, the county investigator, takes on superhero status in the minds of many involved.  Will he be the true hero of the book?  You might be surprised.

Other Shipshewana mysteries:
Falling to Pieces Review
A Perfect Square Review


I received this book in exchange for an honest review from Zondervan.
"Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

Shared with:
Cozy Book Hop
Mix it Up Monday

2 comments:

  1. have read the others, Now I HAVE to get this one too! grin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your review. I loved your comment about Shane - superhero? Maybe ...

    Blessings to you all (and Annie, thank you!).

    V

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura