Saturday, April 13, 2013

Review: When Jesus Wept

Jesus Wept
About When Jesus Wept:
Book 1 in the Thoene's new Jerusalem Chronicles.
Lazarus occupies a surprising position in the Gospel accounts. Widely known as the man Jesus raised from the dead, his story is actually much broader and richer than that. Living as he did at Bethany, near Jerusalem, Lazarus was uniquely placed to witness the swirl of events around Jesus. When Jesus Wept, the first novel in The Jerusalem Chronicles series by bestselling authors Bodie and Brock Thoene, unfolds the turbulent times in Judea during Jesus' ministry, centering on the friendship between Jesus and Lazarus. With rich insights from vineyard owners and vine dressers, the Thoenes explore the metaphor of Jesus as the True Vine, harvesting the ancient secrets found in the Old Testament. Weaving the life of Lazarus, who owned a vineyard, into the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ will help you understand it is the hand of Love Divine that holds the knife, that cuts and breaks with such tender and loving touch, and that we who have born some fruit, after the pruning, can bear much more.

My Thoughts:
I was very hesitant to order a book with Jesus as one of the characters. It was only because of the Thoene's long experience in writing historical fiction that I decided to relent. They took great care in using many of the occurances in the New Testament gospels. Nearly all the words that Jesus spoke in this book were indeed directly from the Bible. The Bible doesn't specifically indicate what Lazarus' occupation was, but the Thoenes have given him a reasonable occupation and have created a credible storyline, not that it happened just as they said, but the things that happened that were not specifically from the Bible were things that could have happened during that time.

Yes, it was well-told story. Yes, it was suspenseful. The value to me was that it painted a more vivid word picture of day-to-day life in Jerusalem and the surrounding area at the time of Jesus. The details that they included illuminated Bible history and scripture to me. One thing that specifically stood out was sparrows. When the Bible spoke of buying two sparrows for a penny, I naturally thought of birds. Sparrows were orphan boys who lived on the streets of Jerusalem. They would light torches at night and accompany people who needed to travel the streets at night. They could be "bought" two boys for a penny. There were many such instances.

I believe that this story was handled in an honorable way.  I look forward to reading more books by the Thoenes.  

Meet the Thoenes:
Bodie and Brock Thoene (pronounced Tay-nee) are bestselling authors of over sixty-five works of historical fiction. Their timeless classics have sold more than thirty-five million copies and won eight ECPA Gold Medallion Awards. The Thoenes have four grown children and eight grandchildren. They divide their time between Hawaii, London, and Nevada.



Read what other reviewers thought.


"Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."


2 comments:

  1. Laura, thanks for adding to the "library". Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Carole. I enjoy getting the word out about great books.

    Thanks for visiting Harvest Lane Cottage,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura