Friday, April 26, 2013

Suspense and Romance Delightfully Intertwined: The Heiress of Winterwood Review



Darbury, England, 1814

Amelia Barrett gave her word. Keeping it could cost her everything.
Amelia Barrett, heiress to an estate nestled in the English moors, defies family expectations and promises to raise her dying friend's baby. She'll risk everything to keep her word-even to the point of proposing to the child's father-a sea captain she's never met.
When the child vanishes with little more than an ominous ransom note hinting at her whereabouts, Amelia and Graham are driven to test the boundaries of their love for this little one.
Amelia's detailed plans would normally see her through any trial, but now, desperate and shaken, she's forced to examine her soul and face her one weakness: pride.
Graham's strength and self-control have served him well and earned him much respect, but chasing perfection has kept him a prisoner of his own discipline. And away from the family he has sworn to love and protect.
Both must learn to have faith and relinquish control so they can embrace the future ahead of them.

My Thoughts:
Okay, true confession time.  This book sat on my table for at least two weeks.  I didn't touch it.  Why?  I pictured myself sitting in my chair, dozing off, as I tried to read a trite Regency Era romance.  There. I said it.  Now you know.  What I didn't know is that I'd completely misjudged this book by its cover, so to speak.  A few days ago, I was looking at my to do list and realized that this book review was due the next day! Yikes.  I had to do some serious reading!
*Note to self, double check due dates to avoid undue fear and trepidation.  It was actually due the 16th not the 10th. ~smile~

Right after dinner, as I listened to falling rain, I made a pot of hot cocoa, settled myself in my favorite reading chair, and turned to the first page.  Lovely inviting lines of prose met my eyes.
"Katherine was going to die.
And Amelia could do
nothing to prevent it."
Not.  A sad beginning, to be sure, that introduced a series of problems that Sarah E. Ladd would write 310 pages in an effort to resolve.  Compelling characters with plausible personalities made this book a pleasurable read.Each paragraph, each page, endeared Amelia to me in such a way that her problems became my problems.  Her fears became my fears, at least until I closed the book for the night. 

The next rainy afternoon I again slipped away to Regency England and spent a splendid afternoon wrapped up in the Jane Austen style manners, customs, and the intrigue of a mysterious kidnapping, unrequited love, and erratic and unexpected behavior from the diverse family members and friends.  The stage was set with obstacles that seemed insurmountable.  Attempts  to remove those obstacles just made a bigger and bigger mess of things. While it wasn't hard to figure out "who done it", it was quite interesting to see the story play out.  I did enjoy this book.  I think anyone who is enamored with Jane Austen's writing style and the Regency Period, would enjoy this book.  It is suspense and romance delightfully intertwined.  The Heiress of Winterwood is most definitely not trite or boring.


No bad language. It's not a book for teens, but there is nothing embarassing or dirty in it, if you get my drift.

Read more reviews at The Landing Page.
  
I received this book from Litfuse in exchange for an honest review.
"Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

Shared with: Traffic Jam

5 comments:

  1. Ok you made this book sound really interesting. I happen to love the Regency Era. Years ago I used to read Barbara Cartland. Now I mostly read Christian books. I didn't see anywhere on this post on how to win the book though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the period books you review! And I love that you let us know if there's any language or anything else in it. See, I saw the cover of this one and thought, "Oooo I want to read it!" So thanks for the review. I'll be looking for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am totally guilty of not reading books because of their "covers" or for that matter reading some and wishing I hadn't!

    Thanks for sharing this review with Cozy Book Hop!

    Marissa
    http://forfunreadinglist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate your honest review! Regency era fiction is among my favourites anyhow so I think I would enjoy this book! Thanks for introducing me to a new author!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed it Christine. I hope you do as well.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm healing from breast cancer surgery on October 20th and dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura