Thursday, June 27, 2013

Review: Hero Tales by President Theodore Roosevelt and Henry Cabot Lodge as read by Hal Young





Need something to help keep your children happy on a long car trip this summer?  Audio books have always been a favorite with our family.  We always try to go to the library the day before we make a long drive. 

"Did you know Theodore Roosevelt wrote a book for children?

He did.
He wrote a book to teach character and virtue through the stories of American History.
He’s been called “The Most Interesting American” and his book is just that!
We’ve made it even more interesting, though, by turning it into an audiobook and adding sound effects, too. Ships creaking, gulls cawing, cannon fire, even angry French mobs come together to make history they’ll never forget…"
~ from Great Waters Press



Part 1 – 1732-1777
George Washington (Biography)
Daniel Boone (Biography)
George Rogers Clark (Revolutionary War)
The Battle of Trenton (Revolutionary War)
Bennington (Revolutionary War)

Part 2 – 1780-1814
Kings Mountain (Revolutionary War)
Stony Point (Revolutionary War)
Gouveneur Morris (French Revolution)
The Philadelphia (Barbary Pirates)
The Wasp (War of 1812)
The Privateer General Armstrong (War of 1812)




Part 3 – 1814-1865
The Battle of New Orleans (War of 1812)
John Quincy Adams and the Right of Petition
Francis Parkman
“Remember The Alamo!” (Texas Revolution)
Hampton Roads (USS Monitor and CSS Virginia)
The Flag-Bearer (War Between The States)




My thoughts:
My son Michael, 13, and I enjoyed the stories immensely.   Hal Young has a pleasant, smooth reading voice.  His passion for the subject comes through in his articulation.  Sound effects add to the pleasurable listening.  It's playing in the background now as I write.  I hear pipers playing a revolutionary tune.

My girls didn't want to sit and listen to the cds.  I think it's because it's summer.  They're trying to avoid anything that seems educational.  I played the stories while we were working in the kitchen.  The stories are short, 7-11 minutes.  It was easy to fit in a bit of history while washing dishes.  Later, after school begins, I'm sure we'll listen again.  I can also imagine us doing handwork in the living room this Autumn while our imaginations take us back in time.

I think that Hero Tales is interesting for all ages; however, President Theodore Roosevelt wrote this book for children.  It has enough detail to make the stories interesting, but not so much that it would be overwhelming for young listeners.

This set is worth checking out, especially if you have boys.  I think it's an awesome resource at a very affordable price.  You'll find an audio links to resources including Roosevelt and Lodge explaining the purpose of the book and the story of Daniel Boone.  Read more about it.

Produced and brought to you by Great Waters Press who brought us Raising Real Men and A Cry from Egypt.  
 
Click here to buy the Complete Set for 
$21 $15

"Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this product for free in exchange for an honest review.   I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."


~~~~~
May I suggest?
~~~~~

2 comments:

  1. Those sound like a great resource! We just might have to preview them for Light of Faith sometimes.

    We love listening to audio books and have over 100 books on audio!! If you ever want to come visit our library, just let me know... :) You'd be more than welcome to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael likes anything history related.
    Blessings,

    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura