Saturday, August 10, 2013

REVIEW: The Letters by Suzanne Woods Fisher


About The Letters:
Book one in Suzanne's brand new series; The Inn at Eagle Hill.

Rose Schrock is a plain woman with a simple plan. Determined to find a way to support her family and pay off her late husband's debts, she sets to work to convert the basement of her Amish farmhouse into an inn. While her family, especially her cranky mother-in-law, is unhappy with Rose's big idea, her friend and neighbor, Galen King, supports the decision and he helps with the conversion. As Rose finalizes preparations for visitors, she prays. She asks God to bless each guest who stays at the Inn at Eagle Hill. As the first guest arrives and settles in, Rose is surprised to discover that her entire family is the one who receives the blessings, in the most unexpected ways. And she's even more surprised when that guest decides to play matchmaker for Galen King.

With her signature plot twists combined with gentle Amish romance, bestselling author Suzanne Woods Fisher invites readers back to Stoney Ridge for fresh stories of simple pleasures despite the complexity of life. Fisher's tale of God's providence and provision will delight her fans and create many new ones. Welcome to the Inn at Eagle Hill.

Litfuse sent me a copy of this book to review for free.


My thoughts:

I thoroughly enjoyed this book.  It was a book full of conflicts and troubles but full of the grace of God and kindness.  There was an emphasis on family, community, and turning to God for help.  Integrity, hope, love, reconciliation, healing were central themes.  Yes there as some romance.  It's understated and mature not gushy mushy.  It would be alright for an older teen daughter.

Was the plot plausible?  No, probably not.  One doesn't put a bed and breakfast together on $36 and the kindness of a neighbor, but it was quite enjoyable anyway.  However, I don't think readers of Amish fiction are looking for plausible.  If we were, why would we buy books with photos of  women in Amish dress wearing make-up? ~smile~  I enjoy Amish fiction, because there's no need to  worry that inappropriate language or scenes will be included.

I give it four stars because it left a few questions in my mind.  I expect they will be answered in a future book since this is book 1 of The Inn at Eagle Hill series.

The Inn at Eagle Hill Series
Book 1 Review
Book 2 Review
Book 3 Review








Purchase a copy: http://ow.ly/nibGe

Meet Suzanne:

Suzanne Woods Fisher is the bestselling author of the Lancaster County Secrets series and the Stoney Ridge Seasons series, as well as nonfiction books about the Amish, including Amish Peace. Her interest in the Anabaptist cultures can be directly traced to her grandfather, who was raised in the Old Order German Baptist Brethren Church in Franklin County, Pennsylvania. For more information, please visit suzannewoodsfisher.com and connect with her on Twitter @suzannewfisher. 
"Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review.   I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

Shared:
Cozy Reading List

6 comments:

  1. Hi, Laura,
    I have been reading a lot of Christian "Romance" Historical Fiction this summer. Most of mine have been set in the 1800's. I have always just not felt drawn to the Amish Series of any books because of what you said- it pictures them as wearing makeup and a bit idyllic. I live in Lancaster County, PA. Maybe that taints it a bit for me. Seeing reality. But I must admit, your write-up of this book has me intrigued a bit. :) Thank you for these write-ups. They are so helpful in finding good books to read. Of course, School will be starting. No more time for pleasure reading! :(

    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Love,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Heather,

    You should try what I call "snatch reading". 5 minutes here, 5 minutes there. It works well if you're only reading one book and use a post it note to keep track of what paragraph you're reading. Once upon a time, it was the only reading I did. With school starting, I'll be doing it, too.

    Blessings,

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review, Laura! It's very helpful! I have read a lot of Amish fiction and I do like Suzanne Woods Fisher's style.
    Blessings
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome Christine. I'm on my way over for a visit. ~smile~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Laura I love your reviews as they are about books I wouldn't necessarily know about. This one was really interesting and I enjoyed reading about it, thank you
    Lots of love
    Dorothy
    :-)xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Dorothy. I've subscribed to your blog so that I don't miss a thing.

    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura