Friday, October 25, 2013

REVIEW: The Women of Christmas by Liz Curtis Higgs

Thank you Blogging for Books for giving me this book in exchange for an honest review.

EXCITED!  That's all I can say.  I was just so excited to be chosen to receive a free review copy of The Women of Christmas by one of my favorite authors Liz Curtis Higgs.  I adore Christmas books.  You probably know that if you've read my blog for long.  ~smile~  This book is no exception.

Liz Curtis Higgs can make characters come to life like no other writer I know.  This time, the characters are real women from the Bible.  Elizabeth, Mary, and Anna.  All precious women who were central to the Christmas history of Jesus' birth.

Mrs. Higgs can get more out of a few lines of scriptures than I can dream.  The insight that Mrs. Higgs gleans through use of multiple Bible translations and versions, study helps, original languages, and other research give a depth to the Luke 2 story that makes it vibrant.  You might say that her descriptions quicken the scriptures for us.  Contextual history and customs bring depth.

Cocoa, The Christmas Story, and insight from Sister Liz Curtis Higgs.  What more could you want?  Oh, maybe some slippers and a blanket.  Can you tell I enjoyed this book?
~smile~

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher.  
I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Modest MondaysProverbs 31 Monday  - Mom's the Word - A Mama's Story - Mix it Up Monday - Make it Yourself Monday -  Make the Scene Monday  - Inspire Me Monday  -  Better Mom Mondays - Sharing His Beauty





10 comments:

  1. This is wonderful to receive free books and to comment on them. I can tell you enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have loved Liz Curtis Higgs ever since we had her as one of our retreat speakers several years ago. She is truly a very special lady. Our ladies group also used her "Bad Girls of the Bible" for a Bible study. You are certainly right...she brings the characters alive! I need to check this out!

    Thanks for sharing and have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a very good read. Isn't it amazing how some wise people can get to the deeper meaning of Bible scripture? It always makes me want to study harder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great review! I'm excited to read this new book by Liz too, she's such a great author. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cathy,

    Liz is one of my favorite authors. I love that she's down-to-earth in her writing. It's just like talking to a friend.

    I'll be over to your blog in a bit for a visit.

    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jane,
    I understand what you mean. Sometimes I think I miss a lot by just reading and listening to the Bible.

    It's so good of you to pop in, I hopped over to your blog and noticed it's been awhile since you've written. I do hope everything is well with you.

    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Hazel,
    It is a great privilege. I love to read.
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Debby Ray,
    You really had a treat at your retreat. ~smile~ I love that Liz is such a good role model for all women but especially big girls.
    Now, I'm going to pop over and say hi at your blog. See you in a minute.
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the review. It sounds like a good read--maybe a good choice for a Christmas gift.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you'll enjoy it Carol.
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura