Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Review: DVD When Calls the Heart

When Calls the Heart has just been released.  I had the privilege of receiving a free copy for review.  It's a movie based on the book of the same name by Janette Oke.  I first read my first Oke book back when my oldest son was a preschooler.  She's had several of her books made into movies.  You might recognize the Love Comes Softly series.

We enjoyed this movie very much.  The scenery, the costuming, the details were wonderfully rich.  The acting was superb.  The music was appropriate and good.  We liked everything about this movie from beginning to end.  Except. One. Thing.  I forgot that this book was the first in a series.  Therefore, when we got to the very end, it ended.  Abruptly.  Without Closure.  Ugh!  My kids complained.

Will we watch the television series when it comes out?  No, at least not unless it comes out on video someday.  We don't have television access.  We just watch selected movies.

Would I still recommend the movie?  Yes, it's really good.  I loved the interplay of the characters.  Two story lines are being told at the same time.  Well, the best thing I can do is suggest you watch the trailer.  The movie receives four stars from us, but only because we like movies with closure.  Enjoy the preview.



Synopsis

When Calls the Heart is the story of Elizabeth Thatcher, a cultured young school teacher in 1910 who, through the discovery of her aunt's secret diary, finds the courage to leave her big city home to accept a teaching position in a frontier coal mining town.  And in the process, she also finds the potential for love with a handsome Royal Canadian Mountie.

"Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

6 comments:

  1. I've seen the previews for it to be on the Hallmark Channel, I believe. I've been meaning to watch it. I need to find the time to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No TV here either ! :) Shut my cable off about a year ago since I basically only watched movies anyway.

    I read alot of Janet Oke when I was younger...appreciate the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Deb,

    Not having t.v. has been a tremendous blessing for a number of reasons. Maybe that's an idea for a blog post. May God bring you a peaceful heart during this holiday season.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shirley,
    Thanks so much for talking back!
    Have a terrific holiday season.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lyn,
    It would be worth your time. I hope you find a little time to do so, perhaps while you're wrapping gifts?
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm healing from breast cancer surgery on October 20th and dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura