Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Review: The First Christmas Night

I received this book in exchange for an honest review.

One of my favorite things about Autumn is choosing a unique Christmas book to enjoy each Advent and Christmas season.  Each year I keep my eyes open for a book that will capture the meaning of the Christmas.  This is that book for us this year.

I've shared the details from the publisher near the bottom of this post.  Do take a look.  The first several lines of the book are included.  It's written in the style of A Visit from St. Nicholas: The Night Before Christmas.  The poetic cadence is soothing to the ears as a read aloud.  I enjoyed the creative God honoring lines.  The pictures were beautiful.  I don't like silly pictures that insult a child's intelligence.  Oops, you just found one of my soapboxes!  I seek out books that include illustrations that are like fine art.  I believe that the text and the illustrations are God honoring.

I look forward to sharing this book with my family this year and in the years to come.  Oh, shhhh.... Don't tell my kids about the book.
Blessings,
Laura
Happy at Home
In Love with My Savior
Jesus the Christ

~~~~~From the Publisher~~~~~

About The First Christmas Night

The First Christmas Night is a beautiful retelling of the birth of Jesus on that joyous night in Bethlehem so long ago. The poem begins with the arrival of Mary and Joseph in Bethlehem and winds though Christ’s birth, the angels’ appearance to the shepherds, and the visit by the Wise Men.  The simple, yet elegant, verses will appeal to little ones and are accompanied by the rich acrylic illustrations of Laura Jacques.

"’Twas the very first Christmas 
when all through the town
not a creature was stirring—there was not a sound.
The moon shining bright in the heavens so high
gave the look of midday to the Bethlehem sky.
The animals were nestled in warm, cozy places
with looks of contentment on each of their faces."

About the Author
Keith Christopher is a composer, arranger, orchestrator, and educator, and he has served as editor and producer for several major music publishers. In addition to writing and studio producing, Keith served on the faculty at the Blair School of Music of Vanderbilt University in Nashville. He lives in Hendersonville, Tennessee, with his wife and two children.

About the Illustrator
The First Christmas Night is a beautiful retelling of the birth of Jesus on that joyous night in Bethlehem so long ago. The poem begins with the arrival of Mary and Joseph in Bethlehem and winds though Christ’s birth, the angels’ appearance to the shepherds, and the visit by the Wise Men.  The simple, yet elegant, verses will appeal to little ones and are accompanied by the rich acrylic illustrations of Christine Kornacki.

Who is it for?

Kids ages 4-8 - The rhyming language can help them develop verbal language skills and learn to read.

Laura here:  I'm using this with my 12-16 year olds!  If y'all like picture books, y'all aren't too old. ~smile~

Family story time during the holidays

Children's Ministers and Sunday school teachers
Christmas carolers could set it to a tune!


        The First Christmas Night

        Written by: Keith Christopher

        Illustrated by: Christine Kornacki

        Publisher: Ideals Books

        Hardcover: 32 pages
        $16.99


10 comments:

  1. Hi Tara,
    Thanks for entering. I've never seen Elf. Maybe this year.
    Happy Thanksgiving,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. I followed you on bloglovin as queenvictoria1776. This book looks beautiful - I would love to win it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Victoria,
    That's terrific. Thanks for the follow. I do hope you're encouraged by my blog. Have a terrific Thanks Living month!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. We like The Very First Noel narrated by Andy Griffith DVD. Very nicely done animation and short for the littles, but tells the story well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite Christmas book for families is our copy of 'The Advent Book by Jack & Kathy Stockman. It's a beautiful large board book that counts down to Christmas. On Dec. first you open the 1st door to see Mary as the angel Gabriel comes to her. The doors are beautiful & the artwork that tells the story is simple & very beautiful as well. It's a favorite I pull out every year & no matter how old I get I still love seeing the pictures & reading the story together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jenny,
    That book is the center of our Advent tradition in our home. I wrote about it here:

    http://harvestlanecottage.blogspot.com/2012/11/a-cozy-christ-centered-christmas-2012.html

    It's my favorite. I'll do my best to get an individual copy for each of my children when they marry.
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rebekah,
    I've not seen that DVD. I'll keep my eye open at the video store.
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a wonderful book Laura. I love Christmas books and have a collection. One of my favorites is A Cup of Christmas Tea. I love the message that it gives! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jann,
    I cannot remember if I've read that book. If not, I should. ~smile~
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can. If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura