Monday, November 4, 2013

REVIEW: Just One More Thing Before You Leave Home

Twenty-two, sixteen, fourteen, and twelve.  Boy girl boy girl.  One lives down the road and around the corner.  The next will be done with high school before I know it. Where is the time going?  Oh, yeah, dishes and laundry.   It makes me sad to think of it.  But, time moves on, and all of our children are growing up before our eyes.  There are a hundred things we want them to know before they leave home.  

Thanks for sending me a free copy for review, Litfuse.
This is exactly what lead David and Bernice Gudgel to write it all out and have weekly discussions with their soon-to-fly-the-nest children.  David was asked by others to put it all down in written form and share it.  After listening to him mom and dad say, "Just one more thing," all his life, he decided the perfect title for this book would be Just One More Thing:  Before You Leave Home.  Written directly to the young person, this book is intended to be read, one chapter at a time, individually, by both child and parent, guardian, or other caring adult.  Then, the idea is to discuss it over breakfast, dinner or maybe a soda out.

Gudgel writes from a Biblical perspective about hot topics including:  choices, roommates, love, debt, spending, priorities, planning, career moves, drinking, gambling, intimate relations, p*rn*graphy, fear, failure, grief, relationship with God, and practical home tips.  He really hits the gamut.

Written in an intelligent, adult to adult manner, Gudgel is very matter-of-fact about issues adults young and old face.  He is a preacher, but he is not at all preachy.  Rather, Gudgel leads the young adult into thinking through actions and choices so that he or she can make the best decision possible and recognize those things that are eternal truths because God says so.

This is a book that I expect to use with my daughter during her senior year of high school, but it could certainly be used with young adults as well.  It would even be of benefit if they read it on their own.

Well done!



About the book: This is the book we wish our parents gave us.
Just One More Thing: Before You Leave Home is a packed guide to help young adults enter life on their own. In the book, the Gudgels use stories, perspectives, and dialogues to discuss 30 indispensable topics to help teens survive, including: worldview, financial challenges, use of time, career moves, moral dilemmas, sex, painful experiences, and spiritual life, among others. Written from a Biblical perspective, the book is more of a guide to making good decisions than a lecture on how to live., It's perfect for a parent and teen to go over together or to give as a thoughtful gift. This is a book they'll reference for years to come.


Meet the authors: Dave & Bernice Gudgel are committed to walking intentionally with God and helping others do the same. Bernice has a degree in Psychology and has focused her adult life on raising three kids and leading various ministries in the church where people can connect with God and each other. Dave is a pastor and teaches for Walk Thru the Bible.

Learn more at: http://davidandbernice.com


"Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review.   I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."



9 comments:

  1. Good Morning Laura!
    This sounds like a really good book. And what a great title, I say that all the time. :)

    I hope you are having a good week!

    Thanks so much for the website for the crocheting, I have it saved to my files and will be using it often...

    Talk to you later.
    Hugs,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Amy,

    You're welcome. Ravelry.com has been a fun place for me to
    find new ideas and keep track of projects. My name there is
    harvestlanelaura if you want to see the projects I listed there.
    I don't list my numerous crocheted dishcloths.
    ~smile~

    I'll be over for tea in just a minute. Mind if I enjoy my salad while I read?

    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds awesome, wish I had for my 22 year old. I'm going to have to purchase this for my boys who are soon to be 17 & 15. Thanks for the review, pinning to my homeschool board, and thanks for sharing on Tuesdays With a Twist, please come back and share some more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Joyce,

    Our children are the same ages. ~smile~ I wish I'd had this for my oldest as well. I wonder if he'd read it if I gave it to him. I don't know. I'm glad this review was helpful to you.

    I'm going to pop over for a quick visit to your place before I make dinner. Have a terrific week,

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would imagine anyone could benefit from the book, not just kids leaving the nest.

    And yes, it does go way too fast. We got luck last month when our daughter, who has not lived at home since she left for college, took a position with an international company headquartered in our town. She is now living 4 houses away and we see her nearly every day. We feel blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds WONDERFUL.

    THANKS so much for sharing.

    Nice blog too. I don't think I have ever visited.

    Stopping by from Carole's Books You Loved November Edition. I am in the list as #28. My book entry is below.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Entry

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Elizabeth,
    I've not been to your blog either. I shall remedy that by visiting in just a minute. I look forward to reading your review.

    Thanks for visiting. I hope you'll return.

    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a wonderful book! I will have to check it out. My husband is a pastor as well and it would be great for him to have a book to recommend when people ask.

    Our children are grown but my husband used a book by James Dobson that he went through with both boys. It was called "Preparing for Adolescence."

    They would read the chapter and then sit and talk about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mom's the Word,
    There are a lot of great resources. The most important thing is to talk.
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura