Monday, December 30, 2013

REVIEW: ~ ~ ~ Jesus on Every Page ~ ~ ~ 10 Simple Ways to Seek and Find Christ in the Old Testament by David Murray

Have you ever seen a book and immediately found yourself excited about reading it?  That's how I felt about Jesus on Every Page.  I've heard many times that Jesus is in every book of the Old Testament.  I've read / listened through the Old Testament a few times in the last year and a half.  Honestly, I cannot see him on every page.  That's why I jumped at this book when it was offered to me.  Thanks Booksneeze for giving me this book in exchange for an honest review.

David Murray is a Presbyterian minister.  He was not taught that Jesus was in the Old Testament.  In fact, it was a very new and even odd idea to him.  His church and colleagues used primarily the New Testament and only occasionally use the Old Testament.  This book is a record of his journey from New Testament only to a whole Bible approach to Christianity. 

When I was a new believer, I went to a church that didn't use the Old Testament.  I had a New Testament Bible, and that's all I needed.  Eventually, I found myself in a church where the Old Testament was used just as much as the New Testament.  My understanding and faith grew dramatically.  That's what happened with David Murray.

This book shows what he's learned of Jesus in the Old Testament, how he learned it, and why he believes it. 

What I liked:
I found it to be very informative even though I already knew he'd find Jesus in the Old Testament.  He brings forth things that I've not seen nor been taught before.  I think it would be great for someone who hasn't seen Jesus in the Old Testament before.  It's written clearly and in a friendly manner.

What I didn't like:
It was hard to keep my attention on it for extended periods.  Sometimes it felt a bit like a textbook. 

Overall, if you are into Bible study or you're an aspiring Bible scholar, I think you'd enjoy it.



I review for BookSneeze®Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher.  
I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

 

4 comments:

  1. This book sounds really interesting.

    To see the Trinity in every book of the Bible really does give us a better understanding of who God is and increases our faith.

    Thanks for sharing and Happy New Year! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, Cathy. May God draw you closer and closer to Him in this new year.





    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura just popping over to say have a wonderful New Year. I have loved reading your posts and look forward to reading more in 2014. You have a most wonderful family Laura and I send the biggest and bestest hugs to you all on this special day of the year. All my love
    Dorothy
    :-)xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New year Dorothy!

    Blessings,

    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura