Monday, December 2, 2013

REVIEW: The Jesus Story Everything That Happens in the New Testament in Plain English by: Dr. William H. Marty


The Jesus Story - Everything That Happens in the New Testament in Plain English is just what it says it is. 

This is simply the story of the Gospel of Jesus of Nazareth, the Christ, written out in order from birth to death to resurrection, and followed by the growth of the early church in Acts and Paul's ministry.

The value in this book for me, one who is familiar with the New Testament and the life of Jesus, is that it aligns the stories in the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John into a narrated timeline.  The order that this books brings also brings clarity.  That is the gift that Dr. Marty shares with us.
 

Written as a factual narrative, not a fictionalized story, this is a valuable book to someone who wishes to understand the overview of Jesus' life and ministry.  It gives me a "Just the facts, Ma'am" feeling to read it.  It will not replace reading the Bible, but it will aid comprehension.  Each chapter contains a summary at the end which sums things up nicely. 

Well done, Dr. Marty.

Now, read an excerpt for yourself or read the press release from Bethany House.
EXCERPT
PRESS RELEASE

Enjoy this Christ-mas season!
Laura
Happy at Home






Dr. William H. Marty

Dr. William H. Marty (ThD, Dallas Theological Seminary) is Professor of Bible at Moody Bible Institute and has published two textbooks, Surveying the New Testament and Survey of the Old Testament. He is unique among Bible college professors in that he teaches and writes on both the New and Old Testaments. Dr. Marty lives with his wife in Chicago.






 Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Bethany House.  
I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

2 comments:

  1. This looks like an interesting read...going to look this up for my kindle.. thanks for sharing.. Have a great day....blessings!

    ReplyDelete



  2. I hope you enjoy it, Patty. I'll be over for a visit in a bit.
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm healing from breast cancer surgery on October 20th and dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura