Saturday, January 25, 2014

Mystery and Suspense Meet in The Headmistress of Rosemere by Sarah E Ladd

Thank you Litfuse for giving me this review copy.

My thoughts: 
     Mystery and suspense meet in this skillfully crafted novel.  While there was romance in the background, it trickled through the book and didn't really become a brook until later in the book.
Instead, there was a good deal of trying to figure out who was hiding what and why. 

     I love it when the action begins suddenly and quickly on the very first page.  It's almost as though the reader was plunged into a climax from the very first sentence.  William is fleeing from danger on the moors.  He knows he's being followed.  His crisis brings forth a chance meeting that will set a whole chain of events into play.

     William is a puzzle.  It's hard to decide whether he's a good guy gone bad, a bad guy gone good, or both.  His actions and his desires don't always match up because he's acting from desperation.  Meeting Patience turns his world on its head.

     Patience is a strange mixture of patient and impatient.  She is extraordinarily patient with her 20 students, but a bit impatient with her grieving mother, though she does well to cover it.  She is kindness itself, but finds herself worn thin and frustrated by the decisions others are making that are changing her future and her present. 

     I do wish that there had been a stronger statement of the Christian faith, but it is made clear that although William and Patience have been struggling with their relationships with God, they have a strong foundation from their parents that they are returning to.  A comforting theme for parents of prodigals.

     I truly enjoyed The Heiress of Winterwood, Sarah Ladd's last book.  I eagerly agreed to read and review the second book in the Whispers on the Moors series, The Headmistress of Rosemere.   You need not read the first book to enjoy the second, but I think if you like one, you'll want to read them both.  I find that I enjoy the Jane Austenish feel of books set in the Regency period.  The manners and the propriety of this clean romance appeal to me.

 
FROM THE PUBLISHER:
  
Life is unexpected. Each day holds new surprises --- some exciting, others unwanted. What matters most is how we respond to those trying situations. Sarah E. Ladd reminds us of the importance of clinging to God to get us through the mountains and valleys of life in The Headmistress of Rosemere.

Readers have fallen in love with Ladd's depiction of early 19th-century England's Regency period and have raved about book one, The Heiress of Winterwood, in the series. They are sure to be equally smitten with Patience Creighton who has come to terms with what's expected of her.

Patience Creighton has dedicated herself to the Rosemere School for Young Ladies. But the return of the enigmatic master of the estate puts everything she loves at risk.  
Bright, sensible Patience knows what is expected of her. At twenty-five, her opportunity for a family of her own has passed, so she invests herself in teaching at her father's school for girls. When her father dies suddenly and her brother moves away to London, she is determined to make the school successful.

Confirmed bachelor William Sterling also knows what is expected of him, but mistake after mistake has left him teetering on ruin's edge. As master of Eastmore Hall he owns a great deal of property --- including the land where Rosemere School is located --- but possesses little money to manage its upkeep. When debtors start calling, he is desperate to find a new source of income, even if it means sacrificing Rosemere.

When a fire threatens the school grounds, William must decide to what lengths he is willing to go to protect his birthright. And when Patience's brother returns with a new wife to take over management of the school, Patience suddenly finds herself unsure of her calling. After a surprising truth about William's past is brought to light, both William and Patience will have to seek God's plans for their lives---and their hearts.




Disclosure: I was sent a sample of the product for review purposes only. I was not compensated in any way. All opinions are my own based on my experience with this product.

"Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."


12 comments:

  1. Lovely Laura this books looks so good, one of my resolutions this year was to get back into reading proper books as I used to. I am certainly making a note of this one for top of my reading list. Hope you are all fine and well Laura, thank you for your wonderful support, truly a fabulous lady. Big hugs and cuddles to you all.
    Dorothy
    :-)xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah's daughter and my daughter have been in the same classroom since kindergarten... small world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing! I think that's terrific. Blessings to you!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Miss Dorothy,

    I'm so glad to hear you are alright. It must have been a busy week for you.

    I am on-line for about ten more minutes, then I AM going to get to my sewing.

    It seems sewing always gets put off. I'm going to do it today.

    Blessings,

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the review Laura. Like you, I enjoy the Jane Austen Regency period!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm now following Harvest Lane Cottage and I think I've added you to my Google circle (if I did it correctly) Looking forward to reading more.

    Blessings,
    Marissa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Marissa Ann, I'm honored. I'm following you on GFC and added you to my Google Circle, too. At least I think I did. ~smile~

    God bless,

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. Doesn't it all seem so refined and sophisticated and civilized, Marissa Ann? That's what I like... not to mention the language.

    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. This book looks interesting, Laura.
    I love the new look of your blog. I have made some changes too!

    I hope you had a great weekend. I had a hectic week, but my weekend was wonderful. Blessings :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope this week is good for you Kath,

    Blessings,

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope this week is good for you Kath,

    Blessings,

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope this week is good for you Kath. I sure enjoy your blog.

    Blessings,

    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm healing from breast cancer surgery on October 20th and dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura