Saturday, February 22, 2014

REVIEW: The A - Z of C.S. Lewis by Colin Duriez

Thank you Litfuse for sending me this review copy in exchange for an honest review.
A Complete Guide to His Life, Thoughts and Writings
Published to coincide with the 50th anniversary of C. S. Lewis's death, this complete guide covers all of Lewis' works, from his literary criticism to Narnia.
C. S. Lewis's work is widely known and regarded, but enthusiasts are often only aware of one part of his work-his children's stories and his popular theology; and yet he wrote so much more, including science fiction and literary criticism. This volume brings together all aspects of C S Lewis's life and thought. Arranged in alphabetical order, it begins with The Abolition of Man-written in 1943 and described as "almost my favorite"-to Wormwood, a character in The Screwtape Letters. This book will delight anyone who is interested in C. S. Lewis and wants to learn more about him, his thought, his works, and his life.

Purchase a copy: http://ow.ly/tzmgH

About the Author: 

Colin Duriez was for many years a commissioning editor at Inter-Varsity Press UK. He has subsequently appeared as a commentator on DVDs of Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings, and BBC television's The Worlds of Fantasy. He is also the author of The Inklings Handbook (with the late David Porter), J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis: The Story of Their Friendship, and Tolkien and The Lord of the Rings, and has contributed to definitive reference works relating to Tolkien such as The Tolkien Encyclopedia (Routledge).


MY THOUGHTS:
  I found this to be a very interesting book.  The introduction gave me a peek into just who C.S. Lewis was.  I did not read the book cover to cover but rather browsed through it.  I found it to be an excellent reference book.  I was able to read one entry and find links to corresponding entries.  It was a bit like taking a journey through the book.  One entry lead to another criss-crossing through the book.  That made for great browsing.  I was also able to look up specific topics and references and get some background information that gave me greater understanding of some of the things I read in The Chronicles of Narnia.  I'd like to read more of Lewis' writing with this book by my side.  I think this would be a valuable text in a college or high school classroom as well a handy book to add to pleasure reading.  Well done Mr. Duriez!  Five stars.
"Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review.   I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for the sweet comment on my blog, and thank you, too, for this book review! My 15 y.o. son is a big Lewis fan and has read some of his adult writings as well as the Aslan stories. This volume is going on my "for Daniel" gift list. :) Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lisa, I'm so glad that it is of help to you. I have several reviews coming in the next couple of weeks. One never knows if they are of help or a bother to readers.

    Blessings,

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny that you are reviewing this book as I just borrowed the book from my local library am currently reading it. Enjoying it greatly. Well written and full of interesting facts.

    Have a lovely week ahead.

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Jo,
    Glad you're enjoying it, too.
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love you to let me know what you thought of the book, Jo.
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura