Sunday, February 2, 2014

REVIEW: The Calling by Suzanne Woods Fisher

Thank you to Litfuse for sending me a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
First of all, I don't read Amish fiction because I think it's realistic.  I don't truthfully know just how realistic it is, because I don't know anyone Amish or even Plain.  I read Amish and Mennonite fiction, occasionally, because I like that it's clean.  I have no worries that there will be inappropriate romantic scenes.  I like that.  I also like the sense of community that is portrayed.  That's something that is sorely missing from most churches that I've experienced.   There's also a calmness in the routines of life and the more defined roles.    

Each person in this book has a story.  The mystery is in how they intertwine.  
Geena to come to The Inn at Eagle Hill Bed and Breakfast after losing her job as youth pastor.  She loves young people, but preaching is just not her thing.  Staying with the Schrocks at Eagle Hill is just the respite she needs to move forward. 
Five old spinster sisters in their eighties and nineties have secrets that are decades old.  
Neighbors Galen and Rose are making eyes at each other. 
Jimmy is trying  ever so hard to get Bethany to notice him.
Bethany is a fireball of confusion and hurt and confusion over a broken heart.

It just goes on and on much like real life.  In life, our stories are meant to intertwine with those of our family and friends, church members and colleagues. In books, we watch the timeline of one or two main characters. This book begins with one person's story and switches to another's and then another's.  It's like getting to know a group of friends.

This book is filled with secrets, mysteries, tears, and spiritual growth.  It can stand alone by itself, but I think you would understand and enjoy it more if you read the first book, The Letters first.

Book two in Suzanne's series The Inn at Eagle Hill.

The Inn at Eagle Hill Series
Book 1 Review
Book 2 Review
Book 3 Review



Book Info
About the book: Book Two in the Inn at Eagle Hill series. Bestselling author Suzanne Woods Fisher delivers her trademark twists, turns, and tender romance in this delightful and exciting visit to the deceptively quiet community of Stoney Ridge. Twenty-year-old Bethany Schrock is restless. Her love life has derailed, her faith hangs by a thread, and she is spending the incredibly hot summer days wading through a lifetime's accumulation of junk at the home of five ancient Amish sisters. About the only thing that holds her interest is the spirited and dangerously handsome Jimmy Fisher---and he seems bent on irritating her to no end. When the sly old sisters and a guest at the Inn get Bethany involved in running the local soup kitchen and starting a community garden, she suddenly finds herself wondering, Shootfire! How did that happen? Despite her newfound purposefulness, a gnawing emptiness about a childhood mystery continues to plague her. Encouraged by Jimmy Fisher, she will seek out the answers she craves---and uncover a shocking secret that will break her heart, heal it, and point her to love.
Suzanne wrote the Inn at Eagle Hill series, Lancaster County Secrets series, and the Stoney Ridge Seasons series, as well as nonfiction books about the Amish, including Amish Peace. She is also the coauthor of a new Amish children's series, The Adventures of Lily Lapp. Her interest in the Anabaptist cultures can be directly traced to her grandfather, who was raised in the Old Order German Baptist Brethren Church in Franklin County, Pennsylvania. Suzanne is a Carol Award winner and a Christy Award finalist. 


"Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review.   I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."


2 comments:

  1. Hi Laura

    Sounds like I would enjoy these books too.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're good. Do you know that you're a no reply blogger Cally?

    Have a blessed week, Cally!



    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm healing from breast cancer surgery on October 20th and dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura