Monday, February 17, 2014

REVIEW: Let There Be Light by Archbishop Desmond Tutu


Thank you Booksneeze for giving me this review book.
“In the very beginning, God’s love bubbled over when there was nothing else---no trees, no birds, no animals, no sky, no sea---only darkness.”

Let There Be Light combines the love and warmth of Nobel Peace Prize Winner Archbishop Desmond Tutu with the extraordinary talents of bestselling author and illustrator Nancy Tillman. This retelling of the biblical story of creation vividly portrays the wonder and beauty of God’s creation on each of the seven days. Using Archbishop Tutu’s lyrical text from the Children of God Storybook Bible and Tillman’s remarkable illustrations, Let There Be Light brings the story of creation to life for readers young and old.
My thoughts: 
   My days of small children are behind me for now.  My youngest is twelve.  However, my eldest is twenty-three, so grandbabies may be in my future... but first a bride and wedding!  ~smile~  I am always on the lookout for excellent picture books for my library or for gifts. 
  Let There Be Light is a nice book.  Archbishop Desmond Tutu retold the story of the days of creation in simple yet vibrant language for very young children.   God's love is conveyed well in the text.  I think that preschool children would enjoy it.
  Nancy Tillman, the illustrator, used soft and bright colors to create images that represent the creation.  She has a gift.  Her giraffes and elephants are so detailed they look like photographs.
  Would I read this book to a preschooler or give it to a preschooler?  Yes.  It would be good for that quick read before bedtime when your child needs to go to sleep quickly with happy God loves me and made me thoughts.
  Now for the question that really begs to be answered.  Would I buy this book?  Honestly, I personally would not.  The price is $16.99.  While that may not be an exorbitant price for a quality hardcover children's book, it would be a bit high for me to pay for this book. Check it out from a library?  Absolutely.  Now, if I had a little one crawling up in my lap every night for a bedtime story, I'd probably say yes, or at least tell Grandma about it.  ~smile~ 

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com <http://BookSneeze®.com> book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Shared:  Cozy Reading Spot

4 comments:

  1. Hi Laura!

    How was your Valentine's Day? And your weekend? I had a wonderful birthday and Valentine's Day. I had parties every week and we celebrated my oldest son's birthday last night. We actually threw him a surprise party and boy was he ever surprised! I'm kinda party out now and taking it easy today. I feel worn out!

    I see you have been busy reading and this book sounds like a good one too. I almost have my second book done. It feels good to use the ol imagination again. :)

    I hope you have a glorious week, my friend.

    Blessings,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy,



    I hope you recover from your wonderful time quickly. ~smile~



    I went to St. Louis for several days to visit friends and to a Bible Quiz tournament for my middle kiddles. Their team did well. We enjoyed ourselves. Today, I'm trying to put the house and my mind back in order. ~smile~ I have several reviews due over the next 2-3 weeks. I hope the reading doesn't overwhelm me, and I hope the reviews don't overwhelm my readers. ~smile~



    Have a great week,





    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to have you back, laura!
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this book. Enjoy the rest of your day! Blessings :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kath,



    I have several book reviews due over the next 2-3 weeks, so I'll be a little heavy on the review side of posting. Please don't give up on me! There were just several good books available and I couldn't choose. ~smile~



    Happy today!





    Laura

    Lane

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm healing from breast cancer surgery on October 20th and dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura