Wednesday, February 5, 2014

REVIEW: A Promise Kept by Robin Lee Hatcher

Thank you to Litfuse for sending me a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Book Info
About the book: God was going to save her marriage, Allison was sure of it. But neither her husband nor her marriage had been saved.

What had become of His promise?

Tony Kavanagh had been Allison's dream-come-true. They were in love within days, engaged within weeks, married and pregnant within a year. Her cup bubbled over with joy . . . but years later, that joy had been extinguished by unexpected trials.

The day Allison issued her husband an ultimatum, she thought it might save him. She never expected he would actually leave. She was certain God had promised to heal; it was clear that she'd misunderstood.

Now, living in the quiet mountain cabin she inherited from her single, self-reliant Great Aunt Emma, Allison must come to terms with her grief and figure out how to adapt to small town life. But when she finds a wedding dress and a collection of journals in Emma's attic, a portrait of her aunt emerges that takes Allison completely by surprise: a portrait of a heartbroken woman surprisingly like herself.

As Allison reads the incredible story of Emma's life in the 1920s and 1930s, she is forced to ask a difficult question: Does she really surrender every piece of her life to the Lord?

Drawing from her own heart-wrenching story of redemption, A Promise Kept is Robin Lee Hatcher's emotionally charged thanksgiving to a God who answers prayers---in His own time and His own ways.

My Thoughts:
~  The book seemed plausible, like it could really have happened.
~  I was immediately drawn into the stories.  Allison's current life and her past, and Emma's past.
~  Switching back and forth in time and in person kept me interested and alert.
~  I felt peaceful as I read this novel.  I like things that make me feel peaceful.
~  The descriptions of the Aunt Emma's house and the town made me want to pack up and move to Idaho, mountains, snow and all.
~  Since mourning and grieving are central to the book's theme of redemption, my heart was touched.  
~  I really liked Susan, Allison's Christian friend, who spoke truth and scripture into her life.  It spoke to me as well. 
~  I really appreciated the short chapters, just two or three pages most of the time.  That works very well for snatch reading whenever I can snatch a few moments.
~  I have a better understanding of the struggles of a woman who is married to an alcoholic.
~  I will look for books by Robin Lee Hatcher to read in the future.
~ 5 Stars because I just enjoyed it.


Read what other bloggers thought.

Purchase a copy: http://ow.ly/sK3Ti
Meet the author: Robin is the author of 65+ novels and novellas. Her home is in Idaho, where she spends her time writing stories of faith, courage, and love; pondering the things of God; and loving her family and friends.

Learn more about Robin at: http://www.robinleehatcher.com


"Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review.   I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."
Shared: Cozy Reading Spot


10 comments:

  1. Laura- I really enjoyed this book, too! And, yes, I'm ready to pack up and move to Idaho.:) Susan was a wonderful character and I loved reading the journal of Aunt Emma. Great review! Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review Laura! It made me want to read the book!

    Blessings,
    Marissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a wonderful book, filled with hope and faith in the love of God! Thank you for sharing it! May the Lord bless you and keep you, sweet friend, and may He pour His joy and peace out into your heart and into your family. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jacqueline,

    I am so honored to be called your friend. I find yours to be one of the most

    encouraging blogs that I read. I learn from you. Thank you.

    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a good one, Marissa! I'll be over for a visit soon.

    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lori,

    It just goes to show you that we don't always really know people the way we think we do.

    I'll be over for a visit soon.

    Blessings to you, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for such a lovely review.
    Have a happy Thursday!
    Blessings :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was a lovely book, Kath. See you at your blog soon!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Morning Laura!

    You always manage to find some really nice books to read. How do you find the time to do all that reading? I haven't felt like reading lately, I haven't felt too good and it's just been busy around here.

    I might have to see if I can find this one, so when I do feel like reading I have something good!

    How's the weather down there? Did you get any more snow? It's been very cold here in Colorado. Last nights temp with the wind chill was -21. Brrr!

    We are staying in, keeping the wood stove roaring and staying cozy!

    I hope you have a wonderful week!

    Blessings,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Amy!

    I thought you had a good question. I wrote this post to answer it. ~smile~





    http://harvestlanecottage.blogspot.com/2014/02/five-ways-to-find-time-to-read.html



    I hope you don't mind that I mentioned you and your blog. Snatch those moments!



    Blessings,



    Laura

    Lane

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm healing from breast cancer surgery on October 20th and dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura