Saturday, March 8, 2014

Movie Night at Home: When Calls the Heart Lost & Found

Thank you Edify Media for this review DVD.
  Back in November, you may recall that I reviewed the movie, When Calls the Heart.  My family and I really enjoyed it, but I must admit it left us hanging. We just knew that there was more to the story. Well, there was.  Last week, I reviewed the book, Where Courage Calls, the story of Elizabeth Thatcher after she arrived in Coal Valley to teach school.  I was in a hurry to read it, because I knew I had this movie to watch and review.  Well, I didn't need to hurry.

  Have you heard the old line, "The names have been changed to protect the innocent"?  Well, in this case, the names were almost the only thing that weren't changed!  Elizabeth was still the new teacher in Coal Valley, and  Jack Thornton was the constable for Coal Valley.  There was a single scene involving chalk dust that was in the book, but that's where the similarity ends.  I thought that this movie was a sequel to the first movie.  I thought the book was a sequel to the first movie.  Maybe they both are but with completely different story lines.  So, if you're a read-the-book then watch the movie person, be forewarned.  You can read about this movie in the official synopsis below.  It is my understanding that this movie is part of the When Calls the Heart television series.

MY THOUGHTS:
Things I liked:
~ The acting was good.
~ Good chemistry between Elizabeth and Jack.
~ Good variety of support characters.
~ Clean family film.
~ No bad language, love scenes, or violence.

Things I didn't like:
~ They didn't follow the book at all.
~ Although the actress playing Elizabeth was good, I didn't like changing the main character. The new Elizabeth was too different in my mind.
~ I found that the women working in the coal mine was a completely unrealistic transfer of 21st century women's behavior to early 20th century women.

The bottom line:
Would I recommend it?  Yes.  It was a film my entire family enjoyed.  I enjoyed it, too, after I realized it was a different story.
Four stars

Synopsis “When Calls the Heart” tells the captivating story of Elizabeth Thatcher (Erin Krakow), a young teacher accustomed to her high society life, who receives her first classroom assignment in Coal Valley, a small coalmining town where life is simple, but often fraught with challenges. Lori Loughlin plays Abigail Stanton, a wife and mother whose husband, the foreman of the mine, along with a dozen other miners, has just been killed in an explosion.  The newly widowed women find their faith is tested when they must go to work in the mines to keep a roof over their heads. Elizabeth charms most everyone in Coal Valley, except Constable Jack Thornton (Daniel Lissing) who believes Thatcher’s wealthy father has doomed the lawman’s career by insisting he be assigned in town to protect the shipping magnate’s daughter. Living in a 1910 coal town, Elizabeth will have to learn the ways of the frontier if she wishes to thrive in the rural west on her own.

"Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura