Saturday, March 1, 2014

REVIEW: Where Courage Calls by Janette Oke and Laurel Oke Logan


Thank you Bethany House for sending me this review copy.

About the book: Her courage and her heart will be tested in ways she never expected . . . Beth Thatcher has spent her entire life in the safe, comfortable world of her family, her friends, and the social outings her father's wealth provides. But Beth is about to leave it all behind to accept a teaching position in the rugged foothills of western Canada. Inspired by her aunt Elizabeth, who went west to teach school several years ago, and gently encouraged by her father, Beth resolves to put her trust in God and bravely face any challenge that comes her way.  But the conditions in Coal Valley are even worse than she'd feared. A recent mining accident has left the town grieving and at the mercy of the mining company. The children have had very little prior education, and many of the locals don't even speak English. There isn't even a proper schoolhouse. In addition, Beth's heart is torn between two young men---both Mounties, one a lifelong friend and the other a kind, quiet man who comes to her aid more than once.  Despite the many challenges, Beth is determined to make a difference in the rustic frontier town. But when her sister visits from the East, reminding her of all the luxuries she's had to give up, will Beth decide to return to her privileged life as soon as the school year is over?

My thoughts:  We just finished week three.  Week three without plumbing working properly.  Week three of driving to the convenience store periodically for necessary business. ~smile~  Not to worry, hubby has now fixed the problem.  I cannot imagine living a life of luxury and giving it up to live in a poor, isolated, mining community, bereft of not only plumbing but electricity, outside communication, and transportation.  Yet that is exactly what Beth Thatcher did.  Faced with these challenges, poor and hungry students, Miss Thatcher bravely faces each challenge with devotion to God and to duty.  
  I liked this book.  Beth Thatcher is indeed a young woman of courage.  That courage develops throughout the novel.  I love her father.  He is so gentle and wise and encouraging and giving.  He's a picture of what I picture Father God to be.  When she goes west, Beth faces situations, people, and predjudices that she never could have imagined during her comfortable life at home with her family.  She does it with dignity and kindness and Christian love.  Her thoughts are for others, not only for their education, but for their souls.  I want to be just like that.  Many of Janette Oke's books are love stories.  The love in this story is the love of God.  Janette Oke and Laurel Oke Logan are excellent writers.  They conveyed God's love and the Gospel in a natural way within this book.  It's good and clean, and I won't hesitate to let my daughters read it if they wish to do so.
  Where Courage Calls is a When Calls the Heart novel.  After watching the movie, When Calls the Heart, we were frustrated with the lack of closure.  This novel answers some of the questions we had.  I am happy to say that a second movie, When Calls the Heart, Lost and Found, will be released soon.  You'll soon see a review for that movie here, too.

My review of the DVD When Calls the Heart which preceeds this story.
Purchase a copy and read an excerpt.
Read what other bloggers think.
About the Authors: 

  Janette Oke Celebrated for her significant contribution to the Christian book industry, Janette Oke is the recipient of numerous awards. Her novels have sold more than 30 million copies and are beloved by readers around the world. Janette lives with her husband, Edward, in Alberta, Canada.
  Laurel Oke Logan is the daughter of Edward and Janette Oke, is the author of "Janette Oke: A Heart for the Prairie," as well as the novel "Dana's Valley," which she co-wrote with her mom. Laurel and her husband have six children and two sons-in-law and live near Indianapolis, Indiana.
  Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher.  I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

~~~~~
May I suggest?
~~~~~

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great book. I've read many of Janette Oke's earlier books over the years and even had the family cookbook! Thanks for the review and movie info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mrs. Blackberry Lane,

    This is definitely a good one. Thanks for talking back!

    Good night,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura