Friday, May 23, 2014

A Thrifty Week at Harvest Lane Cottage #22

Looking forward to Memorial Day weekend?  It should be fun.  We're expecting lots of visitors at the Cafe. I imagine we'll do some extra baking on Friday to prepare.  Have you been using the time and resources you have to be thrifty this week?  Here are some things I have been doing to "make do".
~ I've been reading Out of the Ruins by Karen Barnett.  It's one of my review books.  The company sent it to me free of charge on the condition that I write a review.  I like to read.  I like to write.  I think it's a great opportunity.

~ I got to stay home Monday during the day.  Yay!  No errands and no work schedule meant zero spent on gas for me.  I also got some work done at home.

~ My son unclogged a drain for me.  That's a big savings over what the plumber would have charged!

~ I found a terrific pair of like new Nunn Bush support shoes for my husband to wear to work.  Drum roll... $7 at Salvation Army!  Praise God!  He was expecting to pay at least a hundred dollars.  I looked them up on the Nunn Bush site.  $90.

~ I found some comfy stylish sandals for me in my favorite color, red of course.  They'll look sweet with my black dress (home sewn) with the little red cherries sprinkled all over it.

~ I hunted for new slacks for my husband.  I didn't find any, but I tried.

~ I shopped at Aldi for fresh fruits and veggies.  I took advantage of their sale prices.

~ I sold a book and a cd-rom at Homeschool Classifieds.  It's nice to have money coming in not just out.

~ I mailed a book that was requested on Paperback Swap. I can explain here.

~ Friends gave me lettuce that I used for salads.  I like big ones with all kinds of goodies.  Need some ideas?  Try one of these:
So, now you know what I've been doing.  Tell me, what are you doing to be a good steward of your resources?

~~~~~
May I suggest?
~~~~~

5 comments:

  1. I think it is Memorial Day. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah silly me. Thank you. I don't even have to ask which Deb you are. Miss you friend!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great savings for hubby Laura! I planted Kale in front of my front porch. I thought it was ornamental, but it's the real deal. It has gotten huge and I need to pick it. Do you have a recipe for your Avocado Kale salad? A special dressing or anything else added? Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a great week for you - I wish I had an Aldi nearby! I do appreicate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kathy,
    I do enjoy having Aldi nearby. I buy nearly all my veggies there.
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm healing from breast cancer surgery on October 20th and dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura