Wednesday, September 17, 2014

REVIEW: Well Planned Day All-in-One Planner for Home and School

BACK TO SCHOOL TIME!


  In just a few short days, we'll be starting school again.  I know many of you have already begun.  We had an opportunity for my children to visit their grandparents for a few days in Kansas City for some end of summer fun.  I didn't have the heart to say no to them or to Grandpa and Granny.  I'm busy getting the last minute details ironed out.  One detail that I'm always sure of is my planner.
  School record keeping was hard for me during my early years of homeschooling.  I tried traditional teacher plan books.  I tried typing everything out and printing it.  I tried printing out sheets from my computer.  I tried writing it all out in notebooks and on notebook paper and in little 5 x 7" student assignment books from the department store.  Nothing really clicked with me. Then I chanced to meet a woman with the answer to my dilemma, the The Well Planned Day planner.
  A few years ago, I met Rebecca Scarlata Keliher at a homeschool conference in Missouri.  She showed me her planner and answered all my questions.  At the time, I thought the price seemed a bit high, but I was willing to give it a try.  I'm so glad that I did.  I can honestly say that this is one of my favorite homeschooling products.  This is my fifth year to use The Well Planned Day planner.  This is always my top priority when I make my homeschool wish list each year.

Before we go any farther, I want you to know that I have just become an affiliate, because I like this product so much.  If you choose to buy after clicking one of my links, I will receive a small commission. This does not affect your cost.

  I thought I'd share some photos from my planners over the years.  
  There are all kinds of useful features in these planners.  What I like most is that they are so adaptable. There is room to either plan or record lessons for up to four students in each subject section.  Since I'm currently teaching three, I put assignments for Emily in the first line, Michael in the second, and Amy in the third in each section.  Things I do with all three children are put on the fourth line.  
  I use a combination of planning out subjects ahead (in pencil) and recording what they did after the fact.  I use a separate sheet to give them their assignments.  This book is for me and for keeping records of what was actually finished.  There are boxes to check when assignments are completed.  In the photo below, you may be able to read the numbers in the little boxes.  I recorded how many hours were spent on each assignment.  The highest numbers are usually under SR which stands for silent reading.
  This is my new September calendar.  So far, only two items have made the pages.  I'm sure they'll be quite full before the month is over.  I keep everything on this calendar whether home or school related. If it's not on the calendar, it probably will be forgotten.  The words, "I've slept since then," are often heard in our home.

  During 2010, I kept hours for each subject on the attendance pages.  I kept a list of how many hours were accomplished each day for state record keeping.  Missouri requires 1000 hours of instruction. That year Amy had 1,301.25.  I no longer keep track of quarter hours.  If it's not a half hour, I don't count it.  The math became too complicated. 
  I love this planner!
  This is a product I highly recommend.  I could write out all the features, but it's so much more effective to look for yourself.  I will tell you that it is just $26.95 for the paper version.  If you prefer an electronic version, you can try it free for 30 days.  No credit card necessary.  If you choose to purchase the software, it's currently on sale for $49.99.  Regular price is $64.99.



Now you can try a free 30 day trial of the New My Well Planned Day App.





Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher.  
I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”


~~~~~
May I suggest?
~~~~~

HEDUA

15 comments:

  1. Looks like a great planner! My kids are all grown up but I sure could have used something like this in their younger days! And the best part is, when someone recommends a product that they use! Tried and true! Thanks for the info! Dazee (aka Jackie)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, Greatfull.
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. That planner looks so cute! I generally just make to-do lists on a white board or paper, but that's because I don't homeschool right now, so I don't have to plan ahead quite that much. I'm sure when I'm teaching I will!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That planner looks so cute! I generally just make to-do lists on a white board or paper, but that's because I don't homeschool right now, so I don't have to plan ahead quite that much. I'm sure when I'm teaching I will!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura, I am so glad that you did this review! I am all about planners. I tend to like and want them all. This looks like a really great option, and the price is GREAT! I am currently using the Erin Condren Teacher Planner as our Homeschool Planner for the first time, but I am pinning this for future reference. I have not seen this one before. Thanks so much for linking up to WYWW!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whatever works works Nikki.
    Blessings to you,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whatever works works Nikki.
    Blessings to you,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Laura
    I am a disorganized teacher turned home school mom. I'm always looking for the perfect planner to help get me organized. Out of curiosity do you use the paper version or the printable one? It almost seems to me that having it already done for me would be one less thing I'd have to do!
    Thanks
    Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Carmen,
    I use the paper planner. I tend to be disorganized, too. I find it to be very helpful as long as i use it. ~smile~
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks like a really helpful addition to good organization. I am a home-schooling mom as well. And my daughter is now home-schooling. I'll have to pass this on to her. Thanks for sharing.

    Blessings,
    Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  11. Two generations homeschooling at once. That's beautiful! I think your daughter has risen and called you blessed by following your example.
    Joy!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE a good planner, and I am currently int he market for a new one. I will have to check this one out!
    Thanks for linking up with WYWW :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The website is awesome! You can see most of the pages of the planner. Do me a favor? Will you click through one of my links? That way, if you do decide to purchase one, I'll get a small commission. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good planners are so essential for homeschooling - this one looks great! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a great organization system. Thanks for the submission to the HomeAcre hop. Feel free to stop by at www.PintSizeFarm.com or another one of the hosts to submit another this week!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura