Monday, December 1, 2014

THE SONG: Awaken Love Couple’s Devotional

Thank you FlyBy Promotions for this review copy.
A couple of weeks ago, my husband and I began reading a couple's devotional book together.  We've been married for 28 years now.  I cannot remember doing this before though, of course, I could be mistaken.  We've not seen the movie, but I was interested when I saw that Kyle Idleman was one of the authors.  Kyle Idleman is the author of an excellent book I reviewed a few years ago, Not a Fan... Becoming a Completely Committed Follower of Jesus.  It's about taking your relationship with God seriously.  Awaken Love The Song is about taking your relationship with your husband or wife to the next level.

The Song of Solomon is a love story smack dab in the middle of the Bible.  Kyle and Desirae use the scriptures extensively to parallel Solomon's story with the readers' own love story to revive things a bit between husband and wife in six key areas.

Format:

  • Each week there is a different theme: Deepening Desire, Increasing Intimacy, Fighting Fair, Rediscovering Romance, Cultivating Commitment, and Fostering Faith.
  • Each day there is an introductory story, scripture and application.
  • There are discussion questions and some suggested activities.
  • There's room to write in margins and on lined note-taking areas.
  • Each day's reading is only two or three pages.
  • It's intended to be used daily.
  • Softcover, 86 pages
Our experience:
  • The hardest part of all was making time to read the daily devotion and discuss it together.  Our life is running too fast with too long hours right now until just before Christmas.  
  • We often didn't do it until late at night or were too tired. 
  • This is the point though.  We need to take time to put into our relationship and talk about things.  So we're going to keep on keeping on and finish the book.
My thoughts:
  • This is well-written and well thought out.  
  • The Idlemans bring the Bible to life with examples and questions that can help married couples to talk through some of the challenges in their relationships.
  • We were drawn into the stories, but sometimes felt a little awkward with some of the discussions.
  • Some to the questions have and will lead to some difficult but good talks.
  • We plan to continue the readings even if they take us longer than the expected six weeks.
  • We like it, but this is an exceedingly personal and private kind of book to review.
The Song Couple’s Devotional is a 6-week book for couples that can help awaken love in their marriage. With daily relationship insights and prayer points drawn from the Song of Solomon, this devotional will help couples grow in their relationship with God and one another. 

Inspired by the Song of Solomon, The Song is both a full-length movie and resource for churches to explore God’s plan for relationships, love and marriage.

About the author:

Kyle Idleman is the Teaching Pastor at Southeast Christian Church in Louisville, Kentucky, the fourth-largest church in America. Author of the award-winning and bestselling book, not a fan., and presenter of eight of City on a Hill’s curriculum series, he regularly speaks at conferences and events around the world. Kyle and his wife DesiRae have four children.


"Disclosure (in accordance with the FTC’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”): Many thanks to Propeller Consulting, LLC for providing this prize for the giveaway. Choice of winners and opinions are 100% my own and NOT influenced by monetary compensation. I did receive a sample of the product in exchange for this review and post.

6 comments:

  1. "Christmas with a Capital C" is a great Christmas movie, our whole family loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for linking up at the Just For You Review link-up at http://rahabtoriches.com/just-review-link/

    This book sounds amazing, definitely something I could use in my marriage. Between our 4 (almost 5) children, his job, and homeschooling, it seems our relationship is sometimes on the back burner. This would be a fun and meaningful way to reconnect.

    You have a beautiful blog and I am looking forward to reading more. I am following you on Bloglovin' and Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent idea! The Hub and I should do it but it is something I think I would put off until after Christmas. We are both tired at night right now and things will settle down tremendously after the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're having a hard time doing it right now, too Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have six little children, so the movie "The Very First Noel" has been a favorite the last two years.
    This book looks wonderful. I thank you for bringing it to our attention. We have wanted to do devotionals together ... it is nice to have a ready made resource.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for following Miranda. I understand about being busy with kids. We have four.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm healing from breast cancer surgery on October 20th and dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura