Thursday, December 25, 2014

REVIEW: NKJV NOTE-TAKER'S BIBLE

Thank you BookLook for this review copy.

Once upon a time, I talked to a man in the Bible bookstore.  I told him everything I wanted in a Bible. I asked him if he could find one for me. He did... 
for about $250!

What did I want?
  • New King James Version
  • The Bible, just the Bible and nothing but the Bible.  No notes or extras.
  • Large print for these forty-something eyes
  • Lots of room in the margins.  I'm a note taker during church and Bible study.
  • Leather cover that would last for years.
Obviously, I didn't purchase the $250 Bible. You've probably seen my thrifty posts. I've been making do with a Bible I've had for around fifteen years. The covers and end pages have been glued back in, I've written in many of the margins and inside the covers and note pages.  It's not perfect, but it's mine.  

When BookLook offered me the NKJV NOTE-TAKER'S BIBLE for review, I jumped at the opportunity.  Could this be the Bible I was looking for?  It's a 2014 edition from Zondervan, and I couldn't find any pictures of the pages, so I decided to try it.  

What did I get?
  • New King James Version
  • The Bible, just the Bible and nothing but the Bible.  Well, for the most part. There are just a few notes at the bottom that clarify if there is a difference in texts or something of that sort... not just opinions.
  • Lots of room in the margins for notes... hence the name.
  • A well made Bible with a sturdy, black, glossy cover with a pattern that looks like it's textured, and a thick dust jacket like the picture above.
  • The pages are light weight like a Bible but not so wimpy thin that I'd fear tearing them easily.
  • Bright white paper
  • Dark black ink
  • Christ's words in red letters
  • Double column text
  • Small print
  • Narrow inner margins 
  • One line space between chapters
  • Chapter names in bold print
  • Not too heavy
So, do I like it?

Yes and no

Yes!  It has three of the five things I wanted in a Bible.  That's more than most Bibles I've examined.
  • New King James Version
  • The Bible, just the Bible and nothing but the Bible.  No notes or extras.
  • Lots of room in the margins.  I'm a note taker during church and Bible study.
  • Plus it feels good and sturdy in my hands and not too heavy.
No!   
  • The print was just too small for my forty-something eyes.
So, I'm going to give it to my seventeen year old daughter for Christmas.  She's been looking for something like this, too; and her eyes are much younger. ~smile~ I think she's going to enjoy it. 

Zondervan
ISBN-10 0310434130
ISBN-13 9780310434139
Released September 30, 2014
1.9 pounds
$34.99

*I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review from BookLook.  All opinions are my own.




3 comments:

  1. I am in the market for a new Bible, this one sounds great but I need bigger print for my 50+eyes. Thank you for the helpful review

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Rhonda. Did you see this review? http://harvestlanecottage.blogspot.com/2014/11/review-nkjv-study-bible-full-color.html
    Happy New Year!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laura, thanks for the opinion on the Bible, sounds like the writing would be too small for me also. Thanks for sharing for others at Good Morning Mondays. Blessings

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm healing from breast cancer surgery on October 20th and dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura