Monday, February 16, 2015

The Crimson Cord by Jill Eileen Smith ~ A Review


Thank you Baker Publishing & Revell Reads for this review copy.
Rahab the Harlot. 
Not exactly a Disney princess... and yet... she married a prince in Israel... and she's listed as the great-great-grandmother of King David. We all know Jesus is called Son of David. I've lost track of how many greats that is. ~smile~

I've read some historical fiction books about the Bible before, so I thought that this one might give me some insight into the customs of the time period. It did. I am continually amazed at how God works. Oh I want to tell you, but I'm not allowed! You just have to pay attention to why the Israelites marched around the city for seven days. ~hint hint~

Truthfully, I nearly had to put this book away.  It's so hard to imagine women being treated merely as property. That's exactly what Rahab was in Jericho. I found that the way that Rahab was forced into prostitution and some of the details shared were a bit too much for me. Since it was a review book, I decided to give it just one more chapter. I'm glad I did. The whole book changed when the Israelite spies came. From there, it got really good. It was a beautiful story of redemption. While I know that we do not know the details of Rahab's life, this story of how it might have been made her true story, while unknown, all the more precious. It truly highlighted the loving, all powerful, holy God that we call Jehovah.

Jesus is our redeemer, but God was redeeming people, not just the Israelites, even before Jesus. Rahab is a prime example. The Crimson Cord is a story of redemption. I believe it is a tool to show the love of God to those who are hurting in their sins longing for a savior without even knowing what or whom that may be.

I recommend this book, but do not put it in the hands of a teenager. It's mature content is for mature adults. It's not explicit. I wouldn't have read it if it were, but Rahab was a harlot. I don't want my young daughters to read it.

Dear Reader, 
No sin is too great, no sinner too far gone for Jesus Christ to redeem.  He loves you and is reaching out to you. 
Have you been redeemed?  Jesus is the only way and truth and life.
Meet Jesus.
Now is the time. I'll be happy to answer any questions I can. 
God bless you!

Laura
~~~~~
Here's information from the publisher:

Wife to a gambler who took one too many risks, Rahab finds herself sold as a slave to cover her husband's debt. Forced into prostitution, she despairs of ever regaining her freedom and her self-respect. But when Israelite spies enter Jericho and come to lodge at her house, Rahab sees a glimmer of hope and the opportunity of a lifetime.

In one risky moment, she takes a leap of faith, puts her trust in a God she does not know, and vows to protect the spies from the authorities. When the armies of Israel arrive weeks later, Rahab hopes they will keep their promise, but she has no idea what kind of challenges await her outside Jericho's walls--or if she will ever know the meaning of love.

Under Jill Eileen Smith's talented hand, the familiar story of Rahab bursts forth in high definition. Immerse yourself in a world of dark and dusty streets, clandestine meetings, and daring escapes as a mysterious biblical figure claims her full humanity--and a permanent place in your heart.

Jill Eileen Smith is the bestselling author of the Wives of King David series, the Wives of the Patriarchs series, and The Desert Princess, first in the Loves of King Solomon series. Her research into the lives of biblical women has taken her from the Bible to Israel, and she particularly enjoys learning how women lived in Old Testament times. Jill lives with her family in southeast Michigan. Learn more at www.jilleileensmith.com.



~~~~~

I received this book in exchange for an honest review from Baker Publishing Group and Revell Reads. Opinions expressed are my own.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher.  I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Tuesday
A Return to Loveliness -  Anti-Procrastination Tuesdays Roses of Inspiration -  Tuesdays with a Twist 
Wednesday
Wow Us Wednesday - Wonderful Wednesdays - Fluster's Creative Muster So Much at Home  - A Little R & R
Thursday 
 Think Tank Thursdays -  Home and Garden Thursday I Choose Joy -  All Things Thursday  Share Your Cup Thursday 
Friday
Fridays Unfolded - Sweet & Simple Fridays 

10 comments:

  1. Nice review! Sounds like an interesting read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Anne. I'll be over for a visit soon.

    Blessings to you from our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ,

    Laura Lane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately, human trafficing and the sex trade is all too real in our world today....I imagine this book is very good...thanks for reviewing it....Yes, I am a Christian and as familiar with this story as any Bible reader/student can be...
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice review. I always enjoy reading these types of books when you can learn more about that time in history. The author is new to me so I might try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been amazed at how much I learn from historical fiction, Scrappy Quilter. It's one of my favorite genres.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I know Mama Bear. I do wish it weren't really true even today. May God bring deliverance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your great an honest review, Laura! I must confess that I am often wary of reading Biblical historical fiction because I have read several that seemed to take the Bible out of context. This book has my interest piqued - thanks so much, my dear! And thanks for sharing at ROI - I missed you last week. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always read things like that with caution. I have found some to be valuable though.

    Here are a couple of reviews of books I thought were good.

    http://harvestlanecottage.blogspot.com/2013/10/review-return-to-me-by-lynn-austin.html

    http://harvestlanecottage.blogspot.com/2014/10/review-keepers-of-covenant-by-lynn.html

    Have a good week!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review Laura. I think I would really enjoy the history in this story! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you. It was enlightening Jann.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura