Sunday, April 5, 2015

DVD REVIEW: Grace of God


Pass the popcorn! Time for another family movie night. This one was a really good one!

Things we liked...
~ The Gospel was presented in a clear concise way more than once, but it fit well into the plot. It didn't seem like it had just been added in for good measure.
~ The acting was really good. In fact, the antagonist was truly antagonistic and typical of the attitude of many towards "church people".
~ The individual characters typified different struggles we may find ourselves in during our Christian walk.
~ The issue of "hypocritical Christians" was addressed well.
~ Repentance was encouraged.
~ The Ten Commandments was central to the plot.

Things we didn't like...
~We aren't sure what made it "a story of Easter traditions". It wasn't set at Easter.
~ It was set as frame narrative. That's fine, but the frame didn't seem to fit the rest of the film. It was short though, so it didn't detract from the movie.
~ The kids thought the scenes during the church services seemed fake. I thought the services depicted were just fine though smaller than I expected given the amount of money involved in the story.

So you see, the things we didn't like were really far outweighed by the things we did like. I expect we'll watch it again. I recommend it. It's a great family friendly movie.


About the movie:

Having lost his faith many years ago, Detective Bill Broadly is called to investigate the disappearance of the local church’s collection. As he questions its various church members, rumors swirl as more congregants learn about the theft. When one unexpected church-goer confesses to stealing the funds, the confession resurrects Broadly’s views on God, and helps him see that through faith and belief there really is rebirth and redemption.


Stars: • John Ratzenberger (“Cheers,” WALL-E, Toy Story) •  Erin Bethea (Fireproof, Letters to GodLorenzo Lamas ("The Bold and the Beautiful," "Falcon Crest")
Genre: Family, Inspirational
Rating:  NR
99 Minutes


I did receive a sample of the product from publisher in exchange for this review and post.

10 comments:

  1. I would like to see this, based on your post! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good movie. Have you seen the movie "Do you believe?" A great movie!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Laura,
    I just watched this movie online. And you are right it is a great movie. I have been trying to give away the movie Summer Snow which also is another great movie, but noone seems to want it. I am just at a lost on this one. I would love to have this movie, so I will participate in your giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forever Strong is a good one! And Courageous. I like all.of his movies (I think he did three or four).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've not seen Forever Strong. Thanks Tara.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy watching "Soul Surfer".

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's one of my girls' favorites, Glogirl.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No, Scrappy, I've not seen "Do You Believe?" The trailer looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE all 4 of the Sherwood films (Courageous and the rest) and their new movie (War Room) is coming out later this year!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura